Installer error

Old 04-11-02, 08:10 PM
BrAhern
Visiting Guest
Installer error

Recently, I havent been able to install anything on my PC. I keep getting an error message. It usually reads something like "This installation package cannot be opened. Please contact the product vendor to verify this is a valid Windows program." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-02, 08:45 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Full drive and more info

First off what kind of computer? MHZ? How big is the hard drive? How much memory? Windows what? 95, 95 OSR2, 98, 98SR2, ME, ME Corp, 2000, 2000 Corp, XP Home edition? Is the drive full? You cannot use the last part of the drive. Say you have a gig drive, the last 150 megs are needed for the swap file etc.

Old 04-12-02, 09:26 PM
BrAhern
Visiting Guest
its an HP Pavilion that I bought in september 2000. It runs Windows 98 second edition. Not sure about memory and mhz, but i have a 42 gig hard drive. 19 gigs are full. Everything else seems to be working ok. Just the installer.

Old 04-13-02, 12:04 AM
You might try running SFC "system file checker" from the Run box. Look for altered DLLs (program replaced one or more system Dll) or missing DLLs. >settings >view log. Scanreg /fix in real msdos mode repairs a possibly damaged registry. My bet is a Dll problem.

Old 04-13-02, 04:26 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Repair

You might even try to do a repair install of 98. Pop the disk in and let it auto run.

Old 04-13-02, 09:15 AM
Just out of curiosity what type of software? Was it trying to use the Microsoft installer. You can download an updated installer from Microsoft, I think it is on the office site. Http://office.microsoft.com
Any chance this is older DOS games. Some of them do have problems adapting to a 32 bit OS.
Otherwise, go with what Big Mike said.

Old 04-13-02, 09:28 AM
BrAhern
Visiting Guest
Actually its several programs. One is Limewire,a filesharing program. I also tried to install a couple games. Nothing works. I'll try those things although I dont want to have to resort to recovery. Ive made some backup CD's already but I still would like to only use recovery as a last resort.