Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Compaq lte 286

TX

04-13-02, 05:18 PM   #1  
Compaq lte 286

OK you guys dont makefun of me I bought at a gararge sale a old laptop Compaq LTE 286.(I dont know why).My question is can such a computer run Windows?It has no CD rom drive and if it can run windows how do I install it.
Were can I get more info on this vintage PC?I would like to use it for just surfing the net if I can do it.
Thanks for all the past help.

Sponsored Links

04-14-02, 08:33 AM   #2  
It will run the DOS portion of Win95-98 only. No 32 bit protected mode processing or support for large hard disks here [still fun to use once in a while]. Compaq.com is the place to start. Afteward a PC junk store for a modem. It's not hard to find free versions DOS and software. Ftps: Simtel and Garbo have extensive DOS collections. For info. try Google groups [formerly Dejay].

TX

04-14-02, 09:52 AM   #3  
DOS portion?

Thanks for such a quick reply.
when you say the dos portion of windows 95-98 what does that mean?Forgive me I am computer stupid.
does that mean I can only read the text with no pictures?
I have never used dos on this computer I am on.
Also this laptop has a phone jack plug on it do I still need a modem?I dont want to run any programs on it such as games just would like to have AOL on it is this possible?I need also to get a boot disk for it so it will do something I do not know what is on the harddrive at the present moment I have pushed all the keys from F1 to F12 I can hear a click and I see the harddrive light come on for a second thats it.
Thanks for all your help I need it believe me

04-14-02, 11:53 AM   #4  
Win9xes boot in 16 bit Real Mode. This is the DOS portion of Windows 95-8. That same portion will fit on a single floppy disk with room to spare [Windows CD - not required]. When booting proceeds to loading of the Windows GUI or graphical user interface the processor is switched to 32 bit protected mode. The 286 is incapable of this processing mode. Thus no modern Windows GUI for you with this machine.

The highest hope for this machine is Win 3.x, real iffy and it probably will involve modifications and adjustments. Win 3.x is DOS based [16 bit processing], it is not self configuring, nor is Plug n' Play supported, and use of DOS is required [at least on a minimal basis]. On the plus side AOL did at one time [may still] have a browser for Win 3.x.

DOS graphics fall short of what you're accustom to. The phone jack indicates a modem, but a DOS modem driver and/or software are required also. If a Win9x machine is avialable shove a floppy in drive bay and at the MSDOS prompt enter: format a: /s

That is your boot disk. On Win9x CDs in \Win9x\Other\Misc there is a DOS dianostic program "MSD.EXE". Copy it to the floppy. With it you may be able to extract a little more information about the hardware.

One thing is for sure you won't resurrect this thing over night and be on the internet or BBS tomorrow. It ain't going to happen. If you do resurrect it the lessons learned will be deeper than Plug n' Play, insert the CD, and click Start.

TX

04-14-02, 03:02 PM   #5  
sounds like lots of work to me

Sounds like lots of work to me it is not that I dont like work I just hate to do all of it for something that will be futle in the end.
I was hoping that maybe I could get something to surf the web with and could take with me when I go someplace.
After reading the feedback it has become apparent that the 286 will not fit the bill without lots of work.I will put it on EBAY since it does work as far as I know and it comes with a niffty computer case.
I think another option I have to get a low dollar laptop is to get one on EBay I see them with no operating system.
What should I look for from a machine like this?
I have a windows 98 disk that came with my modren computer I could use the same disk to load the operating system into my laptop once I get one.
I dont know why I spent 20 bucks on a 286 but maybe someone else has a use for it.
Thanks for all the time to fill me in on the 286 but it seems like I need a computer a little more beefey for web surfing.

04-14-02, 10:56 PM   #6  
This is a relatively impartial buying guide http://www.infohq.com/Computer/LaptopGuide.htm It's self explanatory. In two words "more power".

IL

04-15-02, 07:25 AM   #7  
One other thought, this Compaq could make a nice word processor. It will take a little scrounging but get a copy of DOS 5 or 6 and a copy of Word Perfect 5.1, Works for Dos, or Word for Dos. The last versions of all of these supported mice and pull down menus. I believe there were also quite a few simple word processors out when Dos was still an option. There are still a few DOS die hards out there still writing software and most of it is free.

Type a letter and play a few games until you get around to getting a better one.

By the way, if I remember correctly you really need at least 1MB of RAM to get 3.1 working and it runs better on 2MB.

Visiting Guest

04-16-02, 11:59 AM   #8  
Gary Tait
Re: DOS portion?

Originally posted by michael van
Thanks for such a quick reply.
when you say the dos portion of windows 95-98 what does that mean?Forgive me I am computer stupid.
does that mean I can only read the text with no pictures?
Yes, but unfortunately, a 286 won't even run Dos7
( the DOS under Win95/95, which needs a 32 bit system to work). The most you can do is
DOS 6.22. There is some web software that runs on dos,
but may have ceased development, but if you can get a shell
account, or access to a telnet server, you can use a text
only account.

I have never used dos on this computer I am on.
Also this laptop has a phone jack plug on it do I still need a modem?I dont want to run any programs on it such as games
It may have a modem inside already, unfortunately probably up
to a 9600 Baud. You could add an external modem, but due to
the com port probably in there, 14.4 is the fastest you will get
if you want to get an external.

just would like to have AOL on it is this possible?I need also to get a boot disk for it so it will do something I do not know what is on the harddrive at the present moment I have pushed all the keys from F1 to F12 I can hear a click and I see the harddrive light come on for a second thats it.
Thanks for all your help I need it believe me
F10 is the Compaq setup key IIRC.

Visiting Guest

04-16-02, 12:07 PM   #9  
Gary Tait
Originally posted by 2000

DOS graphics fall short of what you're accustom to. The phone jack indicates a modem, but a DOS modem driver and/or software are required also. If a Win9x machine is avialable shove a floppy in drive bay and at the MSDOS prompt enter: format a: /s

You'd be surprised, with 256 color VGA graphics, or even 16
color, what can be done under dos, but I fear it is a simple monochrome LCD on theis machine.

If it is a modem, you won't need a driver for any OS or
application that would need it (they'd usually have "drivers" built in)

One thing is for sure you won't resurrect this thing over night and be on the internet or BBS tomorrow. It ain't going to happen. If you do resurrect it the lessons learned will be deeper than Plug n' Play, insert the CD, and click Start.
You could, if you could find a BBS or shell based ISP to
connect into.

If I had a BBS and/or shell based ISP to dial into, I could
in under an hour make a machine capable of connecting
in under an hour, from my collection of spare parts.

04-16-02, 06:27 PM   #10  
quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------
---------------------
Yes, but unfortunately, a 286 won't even run Dos7 ( the DOS under Win95/95, which needs a 32 bit system to work). The most you can do is DOS 6.22. There is some web software that runs on dos, but may have ceased development, but if you can get a shell account, or access to a telnet server, you can use a text only account.
---------------------

Funny that you would say DOS7 requires a 32 bit system, when I have tracked initial Windows loading on an old 286, and more recently on a 386SX [32 bit word, 16 bit data bus]. Naturally load failed at vmm32. If you're referring to the WinDOS virtual machine and thunking layers, then I agree.

If the 32 bit theory is true then fdisk and format are 32 bit and IO.SYS has an internal thunking routine. Granted Command.com is stored in exe format and breaks the com mould, however, some clear eveidence of the internal IO.SYS phantom DLL would be a nice addition to your point (ie: segementffset or absolute if you want to pull my chain).

You were about to say that A: cannot be assigned as the host, the registry and bootlog.txt cannot be abandon, and that it is impossible to track Windows loading on floppy disks. I respectfully disagree.

quote:
---------------------
You'd be surprised, with 256 color VGA graphics, or even 16 color, what can be done under dos, but I fear it is a simple monochrome LCD on theis machine.

If it is a modem, you won't need a driver for any OS or application that would need it (they'd usually have "drivers" built in)
---------------------

I wouldn't be surprised at all. But, for someone accustom to Windows graphics [thank Billy Joe Ray Bob Gates for hacking MACs and porting to DOS > x86] DOS graphics are less desirable. If DOS graphics were exceptional use would be commonplace. If Gates was a better hacker and implementer Windows graphics would meet or supercede MACs.

Usually is not always. And usually doesn't test the modem.

quote:
---------------------
You could, if you could find a BBS or shell based ISP to connect into.

If I had a BBS and/or shell based ISP to dial into, I could in under an hour make a machine capable of connecting in under an hour, from my collection of spare parts.
---------------------

Point conceded >in your case. But, the response wasn't geared toward the capable with resources.

Need a hobby: DS-OS is a small OS implemented in x86. It's open source, and freely available.

TX

04-21-02, 12:39 PM   #11  
I am glad for all the help

I am glad for all the help and all the tec advice.
But when you start talking bits and data bus and bbs shell based whatever You might as well write it in chinese.
I have given up on the 286 dinosauer and have got me a better not new but something I can get AOL on Dell XPi.
Yes a gararage sale item but it came with two hard drives a modem and all the cool stuff.The only thing it does not have and I want is a CD drive.Also were can I get boot disks for this? I dont have any disks with ones would I need in case I ever have any problems with it?
Right now it is running windows 98 and I will not mess with it.
I dont know to much about this laptop.The guy I got it from is a computer wiz at american airlines and he said I could upgrade easy on this model.This puter is 6 years old but runs like a top still.I just would like to have a restore disk or something like that like I got with my 6 year old desktop.
Thanks and yes dude I got a Dell

Visiting Guest

04-21-02, 01:44 PM   #12  
Gary Tait
To make a boot disk:

Click on Start, Click on Control panel, It will open,
Click on Add/Remove Programs, when that opens,
click on the Startup Disk tab, insert a blank floppy,
and click on start.

You should have gotten a CD and Windows license with
that computer. Go beg for it from the perso you bought it
from, or go buy one (and a CD-Rom drive) from a computer store.

TX

04-21-02, 04:32 PM   #13  
BOOt DISK

Thanks Gary for the boot disk info I can do that.
As far as the windows disk I am not sure about that.I havea windows 98 SE disk with the registration number I guess I could use that when I get the disk drive for the Dell Latitude XPi.
I guess they made several models of the XPi mine is the133st.
He told me a disk drive is about 50 bucks does that sound right?
I also might get a regular mouse since I get cramps trying to move that little ball and click the button when I scroll down.(old age maybe).
Thanks for all the help you guys are great
Michael

Visiting Guest

04-22-02, 06:26 AM   #14  
Gary Tait
As far as the windows disk I am not sure about that.I havea windows 98 SE disk with the registration number I guess I could use that when I get the disk drive for the Dell Latitude XPi.
Check the license terms. I don't think you can if you
have it installed on another machine. You might be able to
use it to update files, if needed.

I guess they made several models of the XPi mine is the133st.
It probably means it has a 133 Mhz processor in it.

He told me a disk drive is about 50 bucks does that sound right?
Sounds right to me.

I also might get a regular mouse since I get cramps trying to move that little ball and click the button when I scroll down.(old age maybe).
Thanks for all the help you guys are great
Michael

Search this Thread