outlook e-mail account

Old 04-15-02, 01:18 PM
Question outlook e-mail account

hi,
can i set up an account with microsoft outlook if i have cable, which i am connected all the time. 1st ? is. is this a wise decision, i use outlook at work as my e-mail account and i like it. i have roadrunner now, and using yahoo for my e-mail, but i like to save some of the mail 2nd ? is. what would be my pop3 or IMAP incoming server? 3rd ? is. what is my outgoing SMTP server. This is all new to me, and i do not understand the setup. Can this even be done on my home PC.. Or is it to much of a hassle, Once someone gets me started. i will most likely be back with more problems. thanks for any advice
Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-02, 05:31 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
you might want to call up roadrunner and ask them for the servers.

Old 04-15-02, 09:28 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Outlook

There should be no problems running outlook on cable. You will need to call and get road runners SMTP and POP3 server. Go to “Tools” “Accounts” and setup your account in Outlook. You will need to know your logon or user name and password too. Shouldn’t take more than 3 minutes to set it up. You will also be able to setup Hotmail thru Outlook also. All I run is Outlook 2002 (comes with Office XP) and have ran Outlook for many years. As always be careful of attachments, if you don’t know who sent it or question if they did send it, isolate the mail and write that person asking if they sent it to you. The only thing good about Hotmail/Yahoo is that they virus scan the mail before you get it. But if you are not checking you road runner mailbox and it gets full you may be penalized in some way for going over your allotted email space. Not all ISP’s do that but some do.

Old 04-16-02, 03:02 AM
thanks Mike

I think my user name and password is set for default. when my PC boots up. the login screen comes up, and I just click cancel and everything loads. Is that what you meen by user login.
what is a good virus scan to purchase, that will automaticly scan all my e-mails?
thanks again

Old 04-16-02, 04:51 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Anti virus

How do you connect to the net? Cable right? In that setup will be your user name and password to get on the net. Call road runner, they will help you setup your Outlook. What you are talking about is the logon dialog when your computer boots up. Two different things. McAfee or Norton antivirus. Should run around $75 I think. You really don’t need it if you pay attention to what you are doing, but if your new and do not know what an “Attachment” is or do not want to take the time to contact the sender you should use anti virus. But take note, anti virus will protect you against only what it is aware of. It will not stop something new. Update it regularly for the best performance.