oh,oh

Old 04-17-02, 03:29 PM
oh,oh

Yesterday I was trying to download something and had to restart windows. When tried this the screen just went blank. I tried shutting the power off on the tower but it kept coming back on itself. when I shut it off on the power bar I managed to get windows (98 2nd edition) back on. I'm using AOL with a dial-up modem and when windows restarted it connected automatically. Last night when I wasn't near the puter it dialed automatically. Today I tried 3 different cd's and it tells me the drive is not accessible. when I tried to scan with Norton it tells me "The drive is locked by a disk utility. Scan later when disk is no longer locked. A-drive is also very slow. I have a Pentium 111, 700MHZ, 128 ram with plenty of hard drive remaining. Wat's up any idea, because I certainly don't.
Thanks guys
bill

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-02, 06:49 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Congratuations. You just got hit by a virus. What is your anti-virus capability.

Smokey

Old 04-17-02, 07:57 PM
oh,oh

I'm using Norton anti virus 2001. If I go and download updates will that help or do I have to format and reinstall windows.
Help
Thanks
Bill

Old 04-18-02, 07:45 AM
If a norton resuce disk was created boot with that. It's too late to create one now. Downloaded updates may be infected by the virus, be denied installation, and without a rescue disk... useless.

Sorry to say, but the likelihood of you using DOS to hunt down and kill the virus yourself or to minimally enable windows so that norton can run seems remote. Fdisk > format > reinstall Windows.