Ie 6.0

Old 04-21-02, 12:06 PM
Ie 6.0

I downloaded/installed Internet Explorer 6.0 last week. Everything seemed OK but during the last couple of days, after being in the internet for about 20 minutes, it generates an error message saying that it will shut down and restart. Also, it asks if I would like to send a report to Micro$oft.

I have done this about 20 times now...getting pretty annoying. I have tried accessing help from Micro$oft.com but I could not wade through the assisted support garbage. At one point, the only IE listed to ask help for was 5.1 for a Mac!

I tried re-downloading & re-installing but no better.

Is anyone aware of bugs in IE 6.0? Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-02, 03:12 PM
ChazR
Visiting Guest
IE 6

IE 6, like most of MS software, is full of bugs and security loop holes. Have you tried running Windows Update and then looking for the many IE6 updates listed on the MS Windows Update site ? Also try going to the main MS Support site: Here Type in IE 6 into the Search Box, top left hand side, and lots of info about IE6 will come up including patches and updates information etc.

Good luck. Chaz.

Old 04-22-02, 02:49 PM
grabasphalt
Visiting Guest
Happens to me all the time

I just wanted to say, I am also getting pretty tired of it happening to me too. I am glad to hear that I`m not the only one! It seems that it also starts to slow down (my computer). Last week when I signed on, it said it had an upgrade for my IE on my comp. Went to Win. Update and it was the same version I have, 6.0. "Don`t know what happened there"! Anyway, I am going to take ChazR's advice and give it a try! I know what you are going through "Editor"!!!

Dave

Old 04-22-02, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the directions ChazR...and the sympathy Grab :-) Misery loves company.

Where is 'Windows Update' Chaz? (I used to know but forgot...is it on the MS Help/Support site?).

I've been to the main MS Support site but as I mentioned, wading through the Get-a-Passport/Log-in/File-Report is tiresome. I think it is designed that way to discourage questions.

Old 04-22-02, 04:19 PM
I found 'Windows Update' (it wasn't on my START menu like it is supposed to be). I just searched and found windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Thanks again.

Say Grab, there was an IE patch--said it was a 'Security' update but maybe it will help. I 'll let you know.

Old 04-23-02, 09:12 AM
IE 6

We are developing it for them
Try this : Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Stytem Tools, System Information, Tools, Then use the Internet Explorer Repair tool. It might just reinstall IE 5.5 for you if you did not delete it.

Good luck

Old 04-23-02, 09:23 AM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
Chris:
Can you please post the contents of the error report?

Also, what OS and service pack?

Bryan

Old 04-23-02, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Bryanx0a0d
Chris:
Can you please post the contents of the error report?

Also, what OS and service pack?

Bryan
I don't know how to access the error report. There was a screen that said IE was closing and asked if I would like to submit the report. I answered 'Yes' at least a dozen times & a report was sent.

This is my system:

OS Name Microsoft Windows
Version 4.90.3000 Build 3000
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name CS5831-A
System Manufacturer TriGem Computer, Inc.
System Model Emachines
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(r) Celeron(tm) processor GenuineIntel ~600 Mhz
BIOS Version Version 1.05A
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
Locale Canada
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 254.43 MB
Available Physical Memory 62.68 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.72 GB
Page File Space 1.75 GB

Old 04-23-02, 03:41 PM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
Start -> Run -> eventvwr

Look in the application node for an Application Error related to Internet Explorer. Copy and paste that information.

Old 04-24-02, 10:07 PM
ntensity
Visiting Guest
Talking

For anybody interested, the easiest place to find the shortcut to windows updates is: internet explorer/tools/windows update. Once there, you will also have access to the M$ Office updates.

Old 04-25-02, 03:47 AM
I tried START/RUN/eventvwr but no such program exists. A search produced eventlist.ocx but nothing else.

(I'm running Windows ME if that means anything)

Old 04-25-02, 10:29 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool A Gig?

Did anybody catch that Page file size? Over a gig? You may try deleting that file from the C:\ prompt in DOS. Throw in your 98 boot disk and boot to the A:\ prompt and switch over to c:\ you want to find the 386.swp file and delete it. When Windoze boots back up it will rebuild that file but at a more manageable size. Also when is the last time you dumped IE’s history and temp files?
If IE’s temp and cookies files get to large IE will start having problems. When you upgraded to 6.0 all those files from 5.x were migrated over to 6.0. I have and idea IE is just choking on it’s on spit… Also cookies? I don’t often recommend third party software but “System Mechanic” from www.iolo.com is a very good program for doing these tasks! It backs itself up and is practically hippy proof. Not to expensive either if you know where to look for “Updates”.

Sorry, didn't spell it out right: win386.swp
THX Bryan...

Last edited by bigmike; 04-25-02 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-25-02, 10:49 AM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
Good catch bigmike. Your swap does seem particularily large and I wonder if it is corrupted. In Windows ME you can control the size of the virtual memory thorugh the System icon in the Control Panel. Look for it on the Advanced tab. The swap file on Windows ME is named win386.swp.

Try setting the virtual memory to 0MB.
Reboot the computer.
Then set the virtual memory to let Windows take care of it automatically.
Reboot the computer again.

If that does not fix it, download and install this cumlative patch:
Security Update, March 28, 2002

I am trying to repro this issue on one of my computers.

Bryan

Old 04-25-02, 02:43 PM
Strangely enough, the intermittent has gone away during the last couple of days. Even so, I read your comments regarding the large pagefile size and thought it was worth looking at.

I tried the virtual memory reset to zero routine (even though I was presented with warnings that I might not be able to reboot--that was not true thankfully) but when I rebooted a second time and gave control back to Windoze, the 1.75g file size returned.

I usually do 'housecleaning' about once a month but took your advice and cleaned out the cache & cookies today.

I downloaded the patch you recommended Bryan, What can I expect from this? Is it just for security issues?

I am hesitant to try the DOS delete business BigMike--as you saw from my system printout, I am running an Emachine. It came with ME (not 98 or XP) already installed on it and only a Restore CD--I believe this would lose me a lot of programs/patches/updates if I used it no?

Old 04-25-02, 03:03 PM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
That patch fixes several security issues. But given that the swap file returned raises other concerns. You should still patch the security holes.

Next time it happens try to copy down as much as you can of the exact error message.

Old 04-25-02, 04:55 PM
What kind of issues Bryan?

Chris

Old 04-25-02, 05:10 PM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
This link has the nitty gritty details: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-015

Windows Update should also have it.

I could not get this behavior to repro on my WinME box.

Old 04-25-02, 05:21 PM
OK, I read thru the patch documentation & I think I understand.

So: 1) cookies/cache deleted
2) patch installed/security holes plugged

Does the returning large swap file indicate anything else?

P.S. There wasn't an error message as such, just a notice box stating that a report was being generated and would I like to forward it to Microsoft.

Was there an evil cookie sending all my financial information to some bad person?

Does the fact that the problem seems to have cured itself indicate that, since I am poor, there was nothing to steal? ;-)

Old 04-25-02, 05:23 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Script error?

Hey Bryan this could be some kind of scripting error on behalf of the website he is visiting. I too have seen an “Error” and IE6 wanting to send and error report. But most of the time its been a bad script.

Old 04-26-02, 10:55 AM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
The security patch has nothing to do with the swap file.

No the "Send Report" functionality does not send your financial data to Microsoft. There should be a link in that box that allows you to view exactly what is being sent to Microsoft. It may look like unintelligent dribble but that information is important.

A website script should not cause IE to fault like that. If that is what is causing the fault then there is still a bug in IE. The security patch will seal up any known scripting issues.

Editor, is the fault always happening on one particular site?

Old 04-26-02, 05:11 PM
As I said, the fault has disappeared but when it was happening, it was not on a specific site. It seemed to be related to time--almost always occurring after about 10 minutes of surfing.

Also, I did not see any option to view the report being sent...no box to click, no link to follow; only a confirmation that the report was sent and a 'Close' box.

I realise you guys are working on this bug but ack to the swap file business--should I do as suggested by bigmike and delete the file after booting to DOS? What risks are there in doing this?

Old 04-26-02, 05:56 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Risk

As with anything to do with Windoze there is some risk, shoot just booting the thing up is the biggest risk you take! But by deleting the swap file and limiting it to about 100 Megs at the most you will speed up your system as well as keeping it a bit tighter. I actually ran the swap file under 98/ME from a second drive and noticed a big difference in performance. This is an old OS2 trick that actually works wonders. Anyway delete the swap file and do so every two weeks and that should help speed you up some. As far as the errors in IE it’s a crap shoot, could be anything. Keeping the temp files deleted and the cookies deleted will help. Upgrading to at least a 500 MHz CPU and no less than 128 Megs memory will help more than anything. I still think you should download and install “System Mechanic” from www.iolo.com. It will help you take care of the cookies, temp files etc. From here it could be as serious as formatting and re-installing Windoze or your ISP having trouble resetting DNS addresses. Bad scripting, Bad Java, Java settings messed up in your IE settings, bad stack info from the TCP/IP setup… the general consensus from my MS buddies is for now get control of the swap file and boost your memory. Of course this is what all MS techs say…

Old 04-27-02, 04:19 AM
OK, some new developments. I had another IE shutdown last night Bryan. There WAS an Advanced tab on the error report and I managed to find the details contained in it. There were about 20 pages! It wouldn't allow me to copy and paste the info so I kinda gave up (I started to Printscreen/Paste in Paint, etc but that would have taken all night). Do you know of a way that I can use to get this report to you should the fault happen again?

BigMike: maybe this is interesting...the WIN386.swp file residing on my drive is actually 106,496KB, not 1.75GB as reported on the System Info page (that page is kept somewhere at Micro$oft isn't it?)

P.S. I am running a 600mhz processor (OK, so it is a emachine Celeron & probably clocks 300mhz) and 256K of ram (the emachine limit on this unit--max ram is extremely necessary on emachines I found)

Old 04-27-02, 05:45 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Not Bad

Yea man 106 Megs isn’t bad. I would still delete it, it could still have some corruption in it. So give us an idea of what the error was? You have plenty of memory and CPU to run IE6. You may try like Bryan suggested and go back to IE5. Go thru your IE settings from tools and see where your Java permissions are at, Actvie X settings etc. you can even turn off your Active X and see how that goes. You may miss something on the net with X turned off but big deal. You can even try to get hold of MS tech via email but you will become a little old man before that brings fruit… You might also try to search the MS Knowledge base, that too is a royal pain in the arse but it might lead you some where… Sorry to sound like I/we're guessing but this is one of those oh crap things you just have to dig for or put up with. I dont like it anymore than you do but hey, it's Winders...