Dell Inspiron Notebook

Old 04-21-02, 04:27 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Dell Inspiron Notebook

Hi, I'm thing about buying notebook to replace my aging desktop. I have been thinking of buying a Dell Inspiron notebook and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. Thanks Tim

Last edited by TimH; 04-22-02 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-27-02, 07:53 AM
nfwalte
Visiting Guest
Tim,

I don't have any experience with this particular notebook, but for what it's worth I've worked with two other Dell Notebooks (I believe they were Latitudes) and thought they were great. I also have two Dell workstations at home. If you're just asking about general quality and performance I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 04-27-02, 03:46 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Your choice or flip a coin

Laptops are pretty much laptops. Some are better some are worse. As with anything you are about to spend one or two thousand dollars on go for the best tech support! Dell will probably be your best bet. My guru that still teaches me everyday use Dell and Gateway, the later took the place of his desktop at home. Go all out, get the fastest with the most memory you can afford, CD/DVD R/RW and big hard drive. Most definitely pay for the extended warranty it will pay for itself the very first time you have to use it and most likely you will. Not bashing the previously mentioned electronics but in the years behind the bench my biggest customer was warranty work. From the Sony portable CD player to the most expensive Mitsubishi big screen. If you are lucky you will never need them but I’ll bet you a dollar you will in the first year. Just the way things are…

Old 04-27-02, 05:34 PM
T
thanks for the advice. I'm also replacing a desktop so I'm looking at the 15" screens....Tim

Old 04-28-02, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tim...

I purchased (2) Inspiron 8100's from Dell last year and have been pretty satisfied with them. The only trouble I have is with the headphone jack on one of them which doesn't always mute the speakers.

The 15" screens are excellent. Very bright and support 1600 x 1200 resolution. DVD playback is excellent!

PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Old 04-29-02, 10:25 AM
A
Dell Inspiron user

My 2 cents...
I have a Dell Insp 3700, have had it for 2+ years. They support pretty well and unfortunately for me I've needed it about 5 times. We have them as company units, people I work with have had similar results, although not quite as bad. I've replaced RAM, and keyboard and can't remember what else. The independent guy that serviced my unit and another service guy both said similar things, Dell get's them what they need very quickly, but it seems they need more than Compaq. I had 2 or 3 Compaq's prior to this Dell and don't remember quite as many problems although I did have a few.
This is one thing I think I'd spend the extra bucks on for extended warranty, I've heard a screen failure is so expensive that they usually junk it if your not covered.

Old 04-29-02, 01:41 PM
T
Thanks everyone.
That doesn't sound too good artart!
I've never been much of a fan of Compac.
Whast about Gateway notebooks?
Toshiba?
Winbook?

Old 04-30-02, 05:37 AM
A
only Dell and Compaq in my experience base

sorry, I've probably owned 3 or 4 total, first were Compaq, then this Dell. I can say that the Dell Screen is much better than my old Compaq, but I think all are much better with new technology. Dell does support well, I have had only one instance where I thought they were slow to respond and because of business, I demand rapid response.

Old 05-01-02, 12:51 PM
joelp
Visiting Guest
Recently purchased a Sony Vaio. Great little machine. Lightweight and has worked flawlessly out of the box.

Also have a Dell. Consistent. Have not had to use tech support. Unfortunately, the Inspiron Series is heavy to travel with. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Old 05-01-02, 01:01 PM
T
I was looking at a Sony the other night. It had one of the new 16.1" screens. BEAUTIFUL!

Old 05-01-02, 01:30 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Sony

Sony: 1.6GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor, 512MB DDR SDRAM memory, and 40GB hard drive. 16.1” UXGA screen 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX Ethernet port and V.90 modem. Combo CD-RW/DVD drive to provide some entertainment. $2,699.99 over 3K with the burner.

-Now if I had my "Drethers" I'd have the above... W/the DVD burner of course. Buddy has one by Gateway. 17" digital display, 1.2 gig blah, blah, blah... But for 3+K when I call Sony etc at midnight and ask them what time it is, they better be cheerful!-

http://www.circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/f...SONY+VAIO&qp=0

Old 05-02-02, 05:29 AM
T
Amen Bigmike! I didn't know gateway had that large of a screen on a notebook. The 15.7" screen they have is nice.

Old 05-02-02, 05:37 AM
joelp
Visiting Guest
The Sony Vaio I purchased is a 1GHZ athlon machine, has burner, DVD and all the nice things. Only thing missing is a better video card. For what it is used for, it is great. Trouble free, fairly good tech support. Price was only 1399, not bad for a laptop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: