Question on finding a good Web Hosting site.

Old 04-23-02, 01:44 PM
cwharb
Visiting Guest
Question on finding a good Web Hosting site.

Ok I'm looking to start up a personal web site and I have run into a small problem. When I search for web hosting 90% of it comes up with bussiness only. I just want to find somewhere that I can register a domanin name and be able to upload my designs at the same place. Is that possible or do you have to do each one at a diffrent site ? This is my first web page set up and any help on finding this out would be a great help.

Oh yea I don't mind having to pay a monthly fee or anything. Around $20 to $40 for the we hosting if possible and I'm not sure what a web name costs but I figure around the same $20 to $40 for a Year.

Thanks Curtis

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-02, 02:06 PM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
Check out http://www.isp.com to get started. They all vary in price and service features. Some of the features include Frontpage 2000 extensions, active server pages, java server pages, database connections (jdbc/odbc), shell access, SSL, domain hosting, mail services, and so on. The more features you add the more money it costs.

Since this is your first shot at web creation you may want ot try geocities or angelfire to get you started. My personal favorite is using my local ISP (internet service provider) to do my web hosting. This supports the local economy, gives you someplace to walk into when the server goes down, and the smaller local ISP's generally are more flexible and have better customer service.

If you are on DSL you may be able to host your own web server. But that is a different pain of a different color.

Old 04-23-02, 04:27 PM
cwharb
Visiting Guest
Ok I have cable internet access. Let me ask this so I can get a ***.ws domin name and I can host it from my computer. Or would I be able to up load my stuff to the .ws site ?

Thanks Curtis

Old 04-23-02, 05:33 PM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
Yes, you can purchase a .ws top-level domain name.

Technically, yes you can host a web site from your computer if you have a web server (Apache, Tomcat, WebLogic, IIS, Netscape, etc) installed.

If you have a dynamic IP address (your IP changes everytime you reconnect) then this is much more difficult because you have to update the DNS and registar everytime your IP changes. Ideally, you want a static IP address. This means that your IP address will not change regardless of your online status.

Quick IP address lesson :
An IP address is like the address for your home. Your home address tells people where you live. Likewise, an IP address tells computers where each other lives.
A website address like www.doityourself.com is a human readable and human friendly way of accessing this website. It is linked to an IP address so that in reality you are accessing a computer at the IP address 161.58.185.45. Website addresses were created because they are easier for humans to remember.

This is the catch:
Review your subscriber's agreement. Pay particular attention to the section describing what you can not do on their network. Most (not all) cable-based ISPs specifically prohibit customers running web and ftp servers. Some providers, like AT&T, actually have software that scans for unauthorized servers. The reprecussions of violating this agreement varies among providers but usually consists of a warning then account termination.
Click this link to see AT&T's policy on running a server

Old 04-24-02, 09:49 PM
A good host is hard to find.

I use, http://www.canaca.com for $9.95 per month, I get the basic package, at 50 MBs, 5 e-mails and, free domain name registration. I also have a domain name, parked for free, reg fee for it was $20.00 per year.

I have done a lot of comparison shopping, both for quality and price. This is my second year with them & I have no complaints.

Unlike the free web hosting, this is your 50MB and there are few restrictions.

Last edited by marturo; 04-29-02 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-29-02, 12:36 AM
cwharb
Visiting Guest
Thanks I will give them a shot.

Old 05-06-02, 02:51 PM
kliot
Visiting Guest
You may also want to check out www.highspeedweb.net they have a $99.00 per year offer, 800mb disk space free domain ssl etc. I have been using them for a couple of years and other than a couple of small glitches I think they are great. Excellent up time

Old 05-06-02, 06:06 PM
First buy for me

I'll have to admit that when I first entered the world as a Webmaster, I let someone else choose the host. After seeing this company charge a $299.00 set up fee for a $99.00 package I think I got good info.

A little over a year has passed & I am much more informed. It is a big buyer beware when it comes to finding a good deal on a host. I shop around now not to find & change, but to see how lucky I was to have a friend who could spot them.

If I had to go shopping today, I would shop very carefully because there are some real bad deals out there. You need to read between the lines & don't believe in 99% uptime LOL
Good Luck on your search Marturo