Computer idiot needs help!

Old 03-09-00, 08:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hello everyone!
This isn't a computer repair question, but maybe someone can help. We recently purchased a computer and have no idea what we're doing! Can anyone recommend a book that isn't too technical to get us started? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We have a PC with Windows 98 and I'd love to be able to start using it for something other than checking my email! Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-00, 12:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Reader's Digest "How To Do Just About Anything On A Computer" and "PCs For Dummies" by Dan Gookin are good for the computer-illiterate, such as me. I own both, and they are a great help, which in my case is a constant need.

Old 03-09-00, 08:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:fuzzicatz

Almost everything the beginner needs to know about windows '98, except for the software BUGS, can be found under the start button and then clicking on the word HELP.

You mentioned checking your e-mail. Therefore, you already have an Internet Service Provider <ISP> I assume???

Locate their phone number, contact the help office and get your questions answered using their software. Every ISP that has it's own software program also has a HELP section.

If your using an internet connection only ISP, then your using Outlook Express for your e-mail and Internet Explorer for your online connection.

Both of these have help sections listed in the gray bar above under the word HELP.

I suggest you try these suggestions prior to making someone else richer buying the books.

I bought those books too. Read barely half of each of them. Never find a need any longer to refer to them. The information is already at your finger tips, just a click or two away.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Old 03-10-00, 02:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thank you both very much for the information! I think I'll get the books AND check the "help" sections on the computer! (Didn't even realize the "help" sections were there!) Both suggestions will be extremely helpful! Again, many thanks!
~Fuzzicatz