adding a slave drive

Old 03-21-00, 12:36 PM
Visiting Guest
How do I add a slave drive onto my computer if I dont have another port to put it into.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-00, 05:34 PM
Visiting Guest
To add a slave device there are a couple of things to consider.
First the you need to have an interal bay free.

Second you need a cable with an open connector.

Third if it is a true slave device make sure the jumper on the device is set for slave.

Old 03-21-00, 08:04 PM
Visiting Guest
If you have a PCI motherboard you will have a primary and secondary IDE channel. This means that yu may connect up to four devices without adding an expansion card.

As Colorado said: you will need and internal drive bay (unless you are adding an external drive); an open connector on one of two IDE cables; make sure that there is a jumper on the slave pins of the new drive (usually the middle pair).

Some BIOS will allow your IDE plug and play devices to auto configure and be jumperless. Mine does not.

You will have to format the drive once it is installed.

Are you adding a second drive because you need more storage? Or, are you just wanting a second drive to manage your files differently? If it is the former, you can buy a program called Drive Copy that will put everything from your old drive onto the new drive and it will work exactly like the old one. I own it and have used it a few times. It really does work.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net