Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I have no icons on my desktop......

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-08-00, 10:34 PM   #1  
I recently swapped my CD drive for a working one. After putting the computer back together, the computer was working. I shut down the computer and brought it back up, but now I have no access to any icons or the startup task bar. I went to upgrade a program and after the program upgrade all the icons and access to Windows was gone. I would like to know how to fix this problem...

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-09-00, 09:14 PM   #2  
Try rebooting to DOS. If you can get to a C:\ prompt type scanreg /restore and follow the instructions to restore a known good registry. Hope this works.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-10-00, 09:12 AM   #3  
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bahaynes56:
Try rebooting to DOS. If you can get to a C:\ prompt type scanreg /restore and follow the instructions to restore a known good registry. Hope this works.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bahaynes - thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I can only get to the setup screen, but when i try to restore anything the same thing happens. Is there a way to bypass the setup screen so i can get to the C; prompt?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-27-00, 05:42 PM   #4  
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike32:
I recently swapped my CD drive for a working one. After putting the computer back together, the computer was working. I shut down the computer and brought it back up, but now I have no access to any icons or the startup task bar. I went to upgrade a program and after the program upgrade all the icons and access to Windows was gone. I would like to know how to fix this problem...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try hitting F* when starting windows comes up after reboot then go into Dos.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-27-00, 05:44 PM   #5  
Try rebooting hit F8 when "Starting Windows" appears then go into DOS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike32:
I recently swapped my CD drive for a working one. After putting the computer back together, the computer was working. I shut down the computer and brought it back up, but now I have no access to any icons or the startup task bar. I went to upgrade a program and after the program upgrade all the icons and access to Windows was gone. I would like to know how to fix this problem...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Search this Thread