I may have really done it this time!

Old 04-28-02, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
I may have really done it this time!

System: P2-400, 320 megs ram, 20 gig-7200 rpm HD @ 25% full, Win 2000.

On an attempt to burn a CD and a system freeze, a restart gave me a "shell notify icon fail" error message. A netscape error message also popped up.
I restarted in safe mode but could not access anything.
Tried to do a Win 2000 repair by selecting the two repair options after booting to the 2000 disk but that did not work either. I then tried to do a reinstall of Win 2000 but it stalls at 17% and at the driver.cab file. At this point the computer briefly stops the installation and then on it's own restarts.
On one occasion it gave me a "Stop Error" screen message that among other things said "K Mode Exception Not Handled" and a reference to " NT OSKRNL.EXE"

I am able to use the computer by installing the 5 Gig HD I changed out but didn't reformat.

What have I done now?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-02, 02:04 PM
My first guess is that the hard drive has some errors. If you have it running on the 5 gig try installing the 20 gig as a slave and run a defrag on it which will also check for errors. Are you formating with NTFS or FAT? Also, how long has the computer been running 2000. If not long or if you used to use FAT and are now using NTFS you may want to see if there is a bios update. The other more technical thing to check is to see if your drive controller on the Motherboard needs special drivers. A lot of manufactures never got around to getting their drive controller specs to Microsoft for the 2000 release.

Old 04-28-02, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Unhappy I may have really done it this time!

mrhoadar:
I have been running 2000 for about 3 months. The only problems I have been having are hardware compatibility issues.
I have 2000 running NTFS and the old HD is running Win 98 on the FAT file system.
Would it be possible to slave the NTFS drive off the FAT drive to recover some data?

I was expecting 2000 to be the answer to the instability problems of '98, but didn't expect this grief.

Old 04-29-02, 05:01 PM
BSB
You could slave it, but you will not be able to read/write any info on the ntfs drive with win98 with out using a 3rd party program that will let you use ntfs with win98. If you are not worried about loosing any data on the ntfs disk I would use a boot disk and fdisk the drive and start over. Be sure to do a scan disk to check for damage. If you need any data on the ntfs disc you can use the program here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...tfswin98.shtml
and copy any of the stuff you need. This is a read only demo.

G'luck

Brian

p.s. if you can do a scan disk before fdisking and formating and see if you can repair any damage. This may repair enough damage to get the disk back online. You can also go to www.bootdisk.com and follow the utilites link to HD tools (bottom of page) You may be able to download a prog to diagnos your HD

Brian

Last edited by BSB; 04-29-02 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-29-02, 05:56 PM
The Long Way Around the Mountain

OK, this is a pain but you won't loose any data this way. It may be the last step before reformating.

Set your 20 Gig to be the Master and the 5 gig to slave. Go through the setup program but when it asks about OS and dual boot say yes. Then setup 2000 up on the 5 gig drive in a WinNT folder. It won't hurt your 98 setup because the Boot.ini file and other system files will stay on the C:/ drive. Now you will have a dual boot machine with windows 2000 on each drive. (Weird huh,) now during the boot up choose the second NT on the menu. You will now be running NT from the 5 gig drive. At this point you can run diagnostics and scandisk on the C drive. If you do end up with bad spots on drive you may have to always run Win 2000 from the D drive.

Old 04-30-02, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Smile

Thanks for your replies.
I took your suggestions to my programmer son for assistance and he said they all looked like good ideas.
He then said " why don't we put your drive in my 2000 machine upstairs and try it".
Duh!
We did that and he was able to access the drive, copy all my data to a file on his system and then upload to a file on my system, which is networked to his.
He virus checked, scan disked and defragged my drive and everything checked out ok.
With optimism I reinstalled the drive in my machine and tried to reinstall 2000 on it, but it stalled at the same point as last time.
I tried a back-up copy of 2000, but that didn't help either.

Any ideas?

Old 05-01-02, 02:48 PM
A random reboot points to either a RAM problem, or a power problem. In your case I would suspect the RAM is on the verge of dying. But, first I would remove all of the peripherals except what you need for the install (CDROM, Hard drive and video card). If that works, then one of your removed peripherals are bad. If not, then I would swap the RAM with a good module. If it works, good, you've found your problem. If not, it's time for a new CPU most likely.

Old 05-01-02, 04:26 PM
BSB
If disk shows no problems and you removed any data you don't want to loose, you should be able to fdisk the drive and start from scratch. If your trying to install over top of an old install its probably giong to keep stopping at the same spot. There's likely to be a bad file that is not being over-written. I've had a similar problem with win2kpro when installing and the only thing that worked was to fdisk/format and start from scratch.

Brian

Old 05-01-02, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks for all your help.
This is Win 2000 pro that I am having problems with. I installed it in the hopes that I would end some annoying instability problems I was having with Win '98-first build. The Win 2000 was to complement my upgrade from P2-266 to 400mhz and 5gig to 20 gig/7200rpm HD. With the 320 meg of ram I put in a while ago this is more than enough for my applications.

I know this question has kinda been beaten to death around here but I'll ask again.

Because of the user agreement my son's employer has, I have the choice of using 98 first build, ME and 2000 Pro.

What do you think?

Old 05-01-02, 08:51 PM
Fdisk the hard drive, disable ACPI from the BIOS before you start installing Win2K, format the drive using NTFS (just let the install program do that). You need to start the computer using the Win98 CD, start from CD, start computer with CDROM support, then run Fdisk, remove all partitionins from the drive, then create a new primary partition. Then remove the Win98 CD, insert the Win2K CD, and reboot. The install program should format the drive to NTFS, and install Win2K. It's possible you have an older computer then Win2K doesn't like. If all else fails, spend $100 and buy an XP upgrade. It may be worth it, but on a 266 Mhz PC it may run a bit slow. So will Win2K actually.