Backing up files

Old 04-08-00, 04:10 PM
Visiting Guest
I backed up my system on a CD several months ago after purchasing a CD writer. I had to run my recovery disc and now I would like to restore my programs and files, but I have no idea where to begin. any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-00, 10:30 PM
Visiting Guest
What are you wanting to know?

When you did your backup, did you arbitrarily save files without directories?

or

Did you save file in directories?

This is where it will make a difference in restoring your HDD and system.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Old 04-09-00, 08:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response. I am sorry to say but I really don't know what I did. I am an old old dog trying to learn modern tricks. I think I just put the disc and hit back up. I probably saved the files without directories. When I put disc in and go to my computer, I get device is not ready. I hope this will help. I will appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. Robert

Old 04-23-00, 05:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

When you do a backup you should only backup things that you do not have handy anywhere else. Such as address in your E-mail, drivers, and any other personal files. There is no need to back-up Operating Systems or applications unless you no longer have the Master disk.

Old 04-24-00, 06:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Since you don't know what you did, and we don't know...the best bet is to reinstall your program files manually again, then when you want to open a file, put your home made cd with your back up files in the drive...go to start...find...then find the file your wanting...then save it again on your hard drive.

------------------
Hope I have helped!
Monica
Augusta, GA