Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Some notes

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-03-00, 05:28 PM   #1  
a group of mine today was just talking about viruses. Seems there are some new nasty ones that has come about. The bottom line is to stay in touch with your anti-virus programs web site and update the program as often as possible..and even that is not a for sure way to stop viruses...(am I spelling that right??? LOL)

Other comments?

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-04-00, 08:11 AM   #2  
Very timely. This morning a world wide virus hit the systems and collapsed email servers (including the Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force). The little dickens, dubbed the "Love Bug" virus, will send you an email with the title, "I love you". Entrenched in the email is a 10 megabyte attachment that, when activated, resends itself to 500 persons on your email list. It also is proposed to cause some damage to specific files but this has not been confirmed. It came to me this morning, I became suspicious, my McAfee antivirus software gave warning, and I deleted it. So far, though, it has crashed computers in both Europe and the United States. They suspect it was started in the Phillipines.

Smokey

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-04-00, 03:10 PM   #3  
More on the "Lovebug Virus". If you receive the "I Love You" messaage on your email, and if you opened the "A Loveletter for You" attachement, the following will have happened:
1) the virus will have emailed itself to everyone on your email list. The email will contain the subject title: I LOVE YOU.

2) the virus will have corrupted every file on your hard drive with the file extension:
.jpg, .txt, .mp2, and .mp3. Every file with that extension will become the virus file. The virus will assume the identity of the files with those extensions and, when activated, will resend the virus to everyone on your mailing list.

The virus is in the wild and is world wide. If you receive the virus from a "friend", a friend most likely didn't send it.

At this date and time, the two major players (McAfee and Norton Anti-Virus Software) have not identifed this virus. Norton has developed an upgrade that will " contain" the virus but not delete it.

Best advice: If someone emails you and says I LOVE YOU, don't believe them.

Hey, Moemaid, I love you.

Smokey

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-04-00, 06:44 PM   #4  
LOL..Smokey are you trying to send me a bug??

Yes, I was at work when it all went down. My company, a major communications company, systems admin got the e-mail early this morning. That smart thing knew something funny was up! She saved the company, LITERALLY.

Nasty nasty stuff. I just don't see the point in all this hacking and virus business....I am more of a giving person...LOL

Smokey...I LOVE YOU TOO....
SMMMOOOOCHHHH

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-06-00, 12:30 PM   #5  
Now I am in fantasy mode. Norton Utilities issued a fix for their software as did McAfee. The "Loveletter" virus is on the defensivea as you read this.

"SMOOCH"? If you couple that with "SNUGGLE", I might get excited, Moemaid.
(LOL).

Smokey

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-07-00, 08:10 AM   #6  
It was posted at my job that they picked up a 19 year old aussie, male, who they suspect is the culprit. The money numbers have hit the millions. This thing was worse the the known "Mellissa" virus. I am wondering what's next? How far can it go? It is now being reported in America On Line that you now don't even have to open an exe file to start the virus...just read the e-mail. Now I don't know yet if this is right or not..but if it is...OH MY!!!

Smokey all this computer talk is making my heart beat fast!!! Keep it up and I might have to go take a cold shower!!!

Smoochies to you...and ohhh cuddle??

moe

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-07-00, 08:12 AM   #7  
I meant snuggle...can't see what you wrote when answering...is this a computer problem?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-08-00, 05:09 AM   #8  
This is terrible. You hit the cuddle key and overrode the snuggle html. Sigh! Oh well, we'll take what we can get.

Why does this site always smell of perfume?

Smokey

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-08-00, 02:11 PM   #9  
It's not perfume..It's my home made goo goo eye potion. I see it's working!

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-08-00, 03:04 PM   #10  
Yah! So you say! Are you sure you want to get me excited?

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited May 08, 2000).]

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-08-00, 07:17 PM   #11  
Fun is fun folks, but is this a computer forum or the on-line version of the "Not So Young and Still Restless"?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-10-00, 05:30 PM   #12  
You are correct GTU..it is a computer forum..and like any forum...you can choose not to read a thread. Just like T.V. if you don't like the channel..change it.

But I do see your point. We got long winded and caught up in the whole thing of cyber fun! What do you expect 2 aging computer freaks...it's bound to happen...

B-)

Search this Thread