Dell Latitude CP

Old 04-30-02, 06:42 AM
Dell Latitude CP

I just purchased a laptop/notebook, not sure which, from my brother-in-law. I need it like I need a hole in my head but figure I need to learn how to use it. He purchased it from ebay, and it doesn't have any documentation with it. Also, no recover disk. When we were bidding on it, these items were supposed to be included with it. I am assuming that my brother in law has lost these items. I finally have learned how to manuever on my desktop system, but thought this might be good to keep my genealogy information on since the kids wouldn't be using the Dell at all.

I believe that there is a manual on the system, but my first (of many I'm sure) is can I hook my printer from my desktop up to the laptop/notebook? Also, I would like to be able to hook up to my cable modem to download information from the genealogy sites. It has a phone line hookup, can I just run to radio shack and grab one that works for cable modems? What information will I need for all of this off the system? Where do I find the information.

Thanks!

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-02, 07:44 AM
Dell has a pretty good support site so all the drivers and information you want should be there. On the printer, as long as the printer manufacturer supports your OS then it should work just like a desktop. For using the cable modem all you should need is a ethernet adapter. If the computer doesn't have one built in just go to a computer store and by a network PC card for a laptop. I would suggest 3Com or Intel.

Old 04-30-02, 07:53 AM
Am scared to get on this thing too much until I'm sure that I can back things up, etc. I discovered that there is no manual on the machine, and also no floppy drive. Only a cdrom. That helps me none.

I don't understand what "docking" means. Isn't that a station that you can hook to your desktop and "dock" the notebook to it? If so, can I dock a dell to an emachine?

Guess I also need to find a floppy drive for this since my CDRW is on the emachine. Or....do they make an external CDRW for a notebook? Guess I just need to get busy and start checking around online. Thanks for the input, at least I have a direction to start looking.

Kay

Old 04-30-02, 09:48 AM
zip drive !!!!

silly me, i have a zip drive (parallel) that I can copy the install disk that is on the computer itself (a lot of good it does me there if the system crashes!) Am going to copy it to zip drive, then onto my desktop, then burn a cd from there as bootable. Will all this work? We shall see.

Kay