Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

connecting computers

05-01-02, 06:01 AM   #1  
connecting computers

I read in the Win Help that I can connect two computers directly together. Is this possible? I've connected the two (desktop/notebook) together through the printer port but cannot figure out what to do next. I've installed the DCC driver on both systems but still nothing. My desktop is trying to acknowledge the notebook on the neighborhood network (computer but no files) and the notebook just sits there acting like I'm crazy. I would like to not have to spend a lot on this notebook, but would like the convenience of being able to take it to the library to do my research and then transfer the information onto the desktop where I can backup the information on my CDRW.

Both systems run Win98
desktop: eMachine (Yugo), CDR, CDRW
notebook: Dell Latitude CP, CDR

I created a bootable zip copy of the installation disk on the notebook and then transfered it to the desktop and then burned a copy for the notebook. Is this what I'm going to have to do from now on? Just swap the zipdrive back and forth or is there a simpler way? I can't afford the home networking kits. Am I S.O.L. or just not seeing the answer.

Kay

Sponsored Links

WI

05-01-02, 11:33 AM   #2  
Did you install the windows direct cable connection program? This is a must if you want windows to do the connecting. Or you can get laplink and accomplish the same thing. A lot easier in my opinion.

Brian

Guess you will want to know how to install the direct cable connection program? open control panel, open add/remove programs, then click on the windows setup tab, double click on communications and select direct cable connection. will need to insert windows cd for the files to be installed.

Brian

05-01-02, 12:35 PM   #3  
Brian,
I installed the Windows deal on both systems, but after doing more research, my cable that I'm using is only one direction I believe. Its a printer extension cable that I purchased when I had to locate my printer far from my main unit.

One thing I've noticed on the notebook is that there is still no network neighborhood, where on the desktop it shows workgroup, the desktop computer name, and which drive is accessible. I don't remember how I got that far on the desktop to replicate it on the notebook. The Benadryl I took kicked in and anything during that time is a blur.

What is a laplink. When I search for it, I see products by the name of DirectParallel cables, and also for usb, and serial connectors. I understand that parallel is faster (printer port/bad because I tie up my means of printing), serial is a lot slower but read nothing about USB connecting. That would be ideal, along with serial since I have one of each empty on both machines.
Kay

WI

05-01-02, 01:49 PM   #4  
oh yeah, you will need that special cable, forgot about that. you should be able to get them at your local pc shop, or you can order them here. http://www.cablesnmor.com/parallel-laplink-cable.html

Laplink came out back in the 80's, mid to late, was the primary program during that time to transfer data from your laptop to desk top with out using 10,000 floppies.
you can see more about laplink here: http://www.laplink.com/

Looks like the prices have gone up since I first purchased laplink back in 1990. ($22, dos only)

Brian

05-01-02, 02:06 PM   #5  
Thanks Brian,

Will get the cables and go from there. It appears that I have my systems set up, but no way to talk to each other. Maybe I should try linking them together with the modem? Maybe not. Makes my head spin thinking about it.

Kay

05-01-02, 02:31 PM   #6  
I would think it's much easier to simply buy 2 $10 NIC's and a $5 crossover Ethernet cable, install Netbeui and do it that way. You can transfer all of the files you want, it's it will be much faster then either LapLink or direct connection.

05-01-02, 03:08 PM   #7  
parallel cables

Kay,

The printer ports will work fine if you get the correct DCC cable. I've used this method before and it seem to work fine and isn't really slow for most transfers. I found my DCC cable at Office Max, but it was a little pricey, about $40, I believe. Here is a link to a site that sells both parallel ($19.95) and USB DCC cables. They also have some info about sharing internet connections through the connection.

http://www.paralleltechnologies.com/

Hope this helps
Nashcat

05-01-02, 06:07 PM   #8  
What are these cables that you spoke of trinitro? The ethernet cable sounds familiar...I have a cable modem and isn't that connected to an ethernet card? What is NIC? The connectors? I believe that my husband may have some of this stuff on his truck. He installs the data communication wiring for businesses. In fact, I have a box of this type stuff sitting next to my desk, but honestly couldn't tell you what was in it. Not your average telephone type stuff I'm used to. Maybe I could use it? If the ends are already connected, then it won't work, correct? Don't they need to be reversed as opposed to other types of cables? Something about the TX being connected to the RX on the other end...clueless, but sure there is method to the madness. And....where do you hook these things in! LOL

I'll check into that, and will also check out the site that nashcat posted.

Thanks everyone....will keep you updated on what I come up with on this end. Please don't go too far away, am sure that I will be pickin' your brains again soon.

Kay

05-01-02, 06:11 PM   #9  
2 PCs out of 3

I have wanted to connect 2 of my 3 PCs to each other, so I went to staples and started to buy. A belkin networking cable, 2 ends on each end an LPT1 & a Com port end made to plug into each PC.

When I asked the Salesperson how to hook it up he said that was such old tec he did not know. So that is when he said just get a Nic for each and Cat 5 to fit & and what?? he did not know.

Since I am using ADSL I allready have a Nic in each of 3 PCs going to my linksys. Then how do you put another Nic in 2 of 3 so they can work together? This should not be so hard.

I don't have F & P shareing enabled and when I try to explore the Network neighborhood I get a box that says unable to browse the network. The network is not accesable for more info look in help index topic network troubleshooting.

This has been this way for years, through cable & ADSL. Do I have to enable F & P sharing to see my LAN? the 3 PCs seem just to share an internet connection. I suppose I ought to get that fixed, before I try to network 2 out of three PCs inside a Lan that only shows up, in the Linksys browser for set up. I see the 3 PCs in there as 1, 2, 3.

Good luck Kay I hope it is easier for you, than I seem to have gotten so far. I don't know yet but the Ethernet route seems best so far.

Visiting Guest

05-01-02, 08:17 PM   #10  
bigmike
Yes

Yes...

05-01-02, 08:41 PM   #11  
from a trusted source

This is the info that I received from a trusted source, this is the route I will take...

What you need to do is buy a “Linksys” 4 channel router. You set the router up with your DNS numbers etc and it becomes your dedicated link. Linksys provides the software, it takes a NIC card in each computer and their software literally leads you by the hand for the setup. Your computers are then setup with the Auto setting for finding DNS numbers etc. you could actually buy a 16 plus channel router and have 16 computers hooked up to the same IP address. Trust me, spend the $100/150 maybe even less for at least a four channel router, LINKSYS the “Straight” CAT5 wire and you are set to go
Kay

05-01-02, 08:46 PM   #12  
If you don't have a high speed internet access, your computer will probably not have an Ethernet card. The port looks like a modem, but it's a bit larger. Even for file sharing, I would install a NIC (network card) in each computer, then connect them via a crossover cable. You can also buy a hub and use two straight cables. After the whole install, right click on Network Neighboorhood, and make sure you have Client for Microsoft Networks, NetBeui and TCPIP installed. Also make sure File and Print sharing is enabled. Next change the log in to Windows login, and reboot. After both machines have this completed, and have been rebooted, go to my computer, right click on the drive you want to share, then click share, then full access. It will probably ask you to reboot again. Next double click on network neighboorhood, and you should see both computers there. It may take several minutes before that will happen. You can then either map a drive, or just copy and paste between the two units. The whole setup should take less then an hour, including the endles rebooting.

05-01-02, 08:56 PM   #13  
You can buy the router, but it will give you no benefit in your situation. You don't need an IP address to share files. If however you have a high speed connection on one computer, or you plan to get it, then you can get the router instead of a hub. Personally I've installed 10s of Lynksys routers, single port, 4 port and wireless and never used their install program. If you follow my previous post you should be fine. All that a router will do is assign an IP address, and then act as a switch.

05-01-02, 09:05 PM   #14  
I have high speed internet connection through my cable company. I also have an ethernet card for it, how do I connect the ethernet card to make a direct connection to my notebook from my pc with this? Where do I get an ethernet card for my notebook?

Today, I will go for the easiest, most direct route. This is something I am willing to invest in.

Kay

05-01-02, 09:13 PM   #15  
That's a little different. You don't need two NICs, just one. Most cable companies don't make you log in, they sometimes use the computer's MAC address or the computer name to authenticate you. In this case, buy a Lynksys 4 port router, it should be around $80 right now. Before you connect your router, right click on Network Neighboorhood, click on TCP/IP and then properties. Righ down everything listed there. Make sure when you are in network neighboorhood you click on the second tab and right down the computer name. If everything in TCPIP was set to automatic, then plug to modem into the WAN port of the router, plug a straight Ethernet cable into port 1 of the router and into the computer. Then go to 192.168.1.1, type in admin for the password, then enter all of your settings there. After you're done, click apply, the router will reboot, and a few seconds later you should have an IP address in the status tab. If not, then you missed something.
For the laptop, just buy a PCMCIA or USB NIC card, and follow the first post. You still need to make sure then file and print sharing is enabled on both computers, and that you have something to share ( a drive, or a folder).

05-01-02, 11:52 PM   #16  
Stay Stealth?

If I understand you trintrio, in order to see a network in the windows program, I must enable File & print sharing. As long as all 3 PCs obtain an IP address, and can access the internet. Why should I care to see a network neiborhood?

From an ADSL Ethernet Modem, I go to the WAN hook up in my 4 port Linksys router. Then I can and have shared a internet connection, with 3 & sometimes 4 Computers, with no trouble for 3 years now.

The Cable Co and now ADSL. I have read more than once, that enableing File & print Sharing, was like turning on a beacon for hackers. If that's not true why all the analog connections within the Lan? Does not F & P sharing work, by exposing your PCs to the internet? What do we have Com Port 1 & 2 for if not to connect to another PC?

Since all the Computers on my Lan have their own IP addresses and I have no problem keeping stealth mode on all 3.

All I want to do is connect to the PC right next to me, and stay within the lan. The parellel port is one way, but we both share the printer through the Bitronics switch. So since the Belkin networking wire has both parrellel and Com port male ends.

Can I just add a Nic card in each, run cat 5? Now since each PC has a Nic card with an IP address from the linksys. How do I get #1 to talk to and share files with #3? Can I just add another Netboui & make another path just for #1 & #3 to share files?

I spent $59.00 on the Bitronics switch, when I could have just enabled File & Print sharing, so I am not going to share files with any of the PCs on my Lan, with out the same analog safety I use for the printer.

So I guess the question is can I put a 2nd Nic card in PC #1 & #3 and set them up to just share files between each other?

05-02-02, 05:36 AM   #17  
You have a router, so file and print sharing should stay local, it should not go past the router. If you want to, you can bind the file and print to only NetBeui, and not TCP/IP. The router won't understand NetBeui. Plus, nobody on the outside will even know that you exist since you're running NAT, and you'll have an internal IP address.
You can also install a second NIC card, run a parallel network and only bind TCPIP to the second NIC. But it's too much hassle in my opinion. I've been running with a single NIC and 3 computers for over 1 year now with no problems. I've run BlackIce on my main PC and it has not detected any attempts of hacking, even at maximum settings. Before, when my computer was connected straight to the modem I has a hack attempt every minute. People have nothing else to do...

05-02-02, 08:22 AM   #18  
temporary means

Can I not just connect my two computers together long enough to download (backup) the important genealogy information off the notebook since it doesn't have a floppy drive to backup with? I will go for the home networking since I have 3 children that will eventually end up with computers of their own. It would be nice to not have to share mine with them anymore. They move my files etc. and that is why I thought about using the notebook for the genealogy. Also, it would be nice to have a full working copy of the work I've done on the desktop since it will be the means that I upload to websites and also has the cdrw that I can burn disks to send to relatives.

This involves simply a DCC cable, software and pluging/unpluging things, correct? Also I will need to configure the computers to share with each other.

Kay

05-02-02, 06:40 PM   #19  
F & P Sharing

So you are saying, if I have a linksys Router, File & Print sharing is save to use because it stays in the LAN. OK so I just enable F & P sharing, put the Win 98 CD into 2 out of 3 PCs for over an hour. I see the 3 PCS but the plus sign disappers when clicked. I never could get any other PC, to open it's files for another PC.

I have an Idea that it won't use our work group name, & it wants to know where the Security server is. I'll will give it a try tommorow. This is the first time I have enabled this option, so maybe it's rusty LOL.

I will just try to get PC 1 & 3 swaping files so we can work together on frontpage, that was why we had a work group name.

Is there one PC that has to give out permission, to the other 2 PCs?

Thanks trinitro

PS: http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q157063
I am reading how it may not work in some cases, there are a lot of reasons here in the MS Knoledge base.

If I can't enable F & P sharing can I use the Nic in each PC with Cat 5? Or am I going to run into problems with network Neighborhood, just like F & P sharing?

I just don't get it. 2 PCs sitting less than 5' away from each other & I can't get them to connect and share files.

Last edited by marturo; 05-02-02 at 09:05 PM.

Search this Thread