Cleaning up LapTop for Re-Sale

Old 05-02-02, 06:28 AM
BGH
Question Cleaning up LapTop for Re-Sale

I am about ready to sell my lap top computer to a friend of mine. Before I do so, I want to clean it up - - remove the history of web sites, clear away conversations from MSN Instant Messenger, remove old programs, etc.

I know enough to clear away the cookies and the internet history via Windows Explorer. Is there anything more I should do? I heard about a program called "spiderbyte" that checks and allows you to remove your internet history through .dat files left in DOS. Would this suffice, or should I do more?

What about the Instant Messenger conversations? Are they saved anywhere on the hard drive? If yes, how do I get rid of them?

I appreciate any and all advice. Being able to tap into the knowledge of those who are more computer savy is a BIG help. Thanks in advance.

BGH

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-02, 01:52 PM
BSB
If you dont care about the data, I would do a high level format or even an fdisk because I forget the / format switch to use. Then re-install windows and as far as the new user is concerned he/she is the first user of the system. There is software out there that can get info off a formated drive but their not cheap. and most only grab info from the last couple of formats (1 or 2 formats back)

I would run format a few times and then install windows (or what ever OS) ad be done with it.

Brian