Mac Problem

Old 07-03-00, 07:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My wife has chosen to drive a Mac. We recently bought a scanner from a friend, but have not been able to get the system to recognize it and since I am not particularly familiar with SCSI devices I'm not quite sure where to go next. I have played with the addresses a little, but no luck. Coincidentally, while messing with this, I had need to use my floppy drive which also didn't recognize a disk in place. (I don't even remember the last time we needed it.) Is there a relationship here I should know about? Any suggestions? Grandma in Alaska would love to get some pics...Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-00, 11:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

What SCSI number is the scanner using? Your hard drive is typically #1, so the scanner has to be assigned a number 2-7. If you still can't see it after you have verified that both pieces of hardware have unique numbers, then you can try using a utility called SCSI probe. You can get it from this web site: http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...00-908022.html It will scan your system to find any SCSI attachments. If this doesn't help, let me know kind of Mac you have and which system software you are using.
Good luck

Old 07-08-00, 12:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

What SCSI number is the scanner using? Your hard drive is typically #1, so the scanner has to be assigned a number 2-7. If you still can't see it after you have verified that both pieces of hardware have unique numbers, then you can try using a utility called SCSI probe. You can get it from this web site: http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...00-908022.html It will scan your system to find any SCSI attachments. If this doesn't help, let me know kind of Mac you have and which system software you are using.
Good luck

Old 07-13-00, 08:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Machine is a Performa 6400 running Sys. 7.5.
I have tried several different SCSI addresses and get one of two error messages. When I don't reboot to test: "Driver failed to communicate with scanner." Driver: -11.
With reboot: "Scanner not found or not ready." Driver: 17

Downloaded SCSI Probe but could not decompress fully or install. A friend tells me I probably just need a newer version of Stuff-It Expander, which I haven't had time to look for yet.

Old 07-20-00, 12:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Sorry I took so long, I went on vacation...
Your floppy drive is not a SCSI device, so I don't think the two problems are related. If you want to try the SCSI Probe option, you can get the new Stuffit Expander from here http://www.aladdinsys.com/expander/index.html
SCSI connections are not hot swappable, you have to shut down your system before you can attach the cable. You might have blown the SCSI port when you connected it with the machine running (but I wouldn't tell your wife that ). Let me know what the probe finds if you get a chance...

Old 07-31-00, 07:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Gee, I hope I get a vacation some day...
Anyway, got SCSI Probe running and, amazingly enough, it doesn't see a scanner either. It only sees the CPU at ID7 and the CD-ROM at ID3. I've tried several other addresses along the way. Should I be seeing the hard drive here also? Might this be just a bad connector somewhere? I need to get the case open anyway to clean up the dog hair...

Old 08-01-00, 09:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Well, the bus itself seems OK, since the CD rom is visible.
Does the scanner have built in termination? Is it turned on? Lack of termination is the only thing that will cause a SCSI device to be invisible (execpt for the device being broke or not turned on , or the bus is blown ). A bad cable could be the culprit, but that is something that I've never encountered. If you open it up you might want to check the SCSI card itself (be sure to discharge any static elec build up before touching anything inside though).
If there isn't a built in terminator, you can buy one and attach it to the 'out' terminal on your scanner.
L

[This message has been edited by LSummers (edited August 01, 2000).]

Old 08-01-00, 11:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Do you know anyone else who has a mac who could try hooking it up on their machine?

[This message has been edited by LSummers (edited August 01, 2000).]

Old 08-06-00, 07:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

As far as I can tell there is no internal terminator, but he gave me one with the scanner. The final setup was a little hokey, another cable and a Centronix type terminator, but I think it should have worked. I gave the thing back to my friend today to try it out on his system again. I can pass it on to at least three others, if it comes to that, but by then I expect he can have it back anyway.