Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Possible For Two O/s On One Computer

NY

05-05-02, 10:32 PM   #1  
Possible For Two O/s On One Computer

Hello folks!
I have a little problem maybe someone can show me how to solve.
I have a Dell Dimension XPS266, with 192 Ram , 6GB drive broken into C,D,E drives. On this I have a O/S of WIN95 on C drive. I know this is ancient history but too much of my work and play items are still based on that to convert. I wish to put WIN98SE to handle a new digital camera that I have and requires that at a minimum.
Is it possible to install the 98, without it overriding the 95, on one of the other drives?
-How would I access it?
-Let 95 be the startup and then access throuch Start Programs feature?
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-05-02, 10:40 PM   #2  
bigmike
Dual Boot

What you are wanting to do is “Dual Boot”. I am not even sure if you can dual boot 95 and 98, you can 98.x and up though. Dual booting is also not for the weak of heart, it takes some skill to keep it working. Upgrading to 98.x should not have an effect on your older games etc. If you were going to Millennium or 2000 etc then you would have to be concerned. I would not do an upgrade either, spend the extra $10 and get full copy of 98. I know 98 upgrade is a full copy but I believe that you should do a clean install any time you are going to a new OS and not from the upgrade CD.

WI

05-06-02, 02:27 PM   #3  
You could run a boot master program like this one: http://download.com.com/3000-2094-87...ml?tag=lst-0-3
But I would go with BigM. I have yet to see a program developed for win95 fail to work on win98, or even win98se.

Brian

05-06-02, 02:52 PM   #4  
Bob,
You can add another hard drive and use a key switch made by Nicklock to switch between drives at start up. The switch is about $20, and a new 6 gig HD is about $30. Tom's hardware did an article on the switch, and gave it a good review. It's like having two separate computers. The only disadvantage that I see is that you can't move data from one drive to the other drive.

Nashcat
Nicklock
Tom's Hardware article
Nicklock distributor

IL

05-06-02, 03:30 PM   #5  
Actually, there are programs that will run under 95 but not 98se. Trust me their my kids favorites. One is a free versionof Dogz 2 and the other are some demos of Microsofts Magic School Bus. So I keep one computer with 95 on one side and Redhat on the other.

As to the original question, 95 and 98 use the same files on the active partion. Hence, your only option is a third part boot loader because not even 2000 or XP will let you have two instances of 9x. The other option, as was mentioned, is a manual switch.

05-07-02, 02:07 PM   #6  
What about doing a clean install of 98SE, and trying out all of your stuff with that? If you find that there is a program that is truly not compatible, then start over and do 95 first, then follow the instructions of the above replys for adding 98SE.
If you choose to only to have 98SE, make one or more partitions in FAT32 (large disk support enabled during re-partiton/re-format).

gj

Search this Thread