d drive

Old 05-07-02, 03:00 AM
d drive

Thanks Kaybyrd for your quick response. My computer won't recognize d drive. When i tried to scan the drive with Norton it tells me that it can't do it because it is locked by a disk utilitry. Does this have anything to do with it not recognizing it??
Thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-02, 01:11 PM
BSB
Can you access the D-drive? or is it logicaly not there? Is your bios reconizing it? May have to do some before windows troubleshooting.

Brian

Old 05-07-02, 02:27 PM
d drive

I'm after trying 4 0r 5 different cd's and it gives me the following warning D:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready. I press retry and I get the same result, nothing.
Thanks
Bill

Old 05-07-02, 07:37 PM
BSB
did I miss a post this is continuation from? at any rate, I take it the D-drive is your cd rom drive? when you go to system from control panel and look at devices (hardware) are all drives that you have physically installed in the device manager? (hd's under drives, and cd under cd drive?)If the drive is there and it is a cdrom dbl click on the drive to get properties, what is the drive letter designator? Maybe its no longer drive d?)) If not have you tried to add new hardware? (normany wont work, hehe love ms)

Open windows exporer, not IE, is the drive there?

I would check this.....restart pc, hit del (or the key needed to get into bios setup) and check to see that all your drives are being detected by the motherboard. Next is to make sure the drive is bing loaded by windows if windows 95/95 from run command type edit config.sys and edit autoexec.bat if this is a cdrom make sure you see lines about the cdrom in one of these. (forget if its in both) Also you can hit f8 or f5 (again my mind is slipping) several times after the POST choose step by step If there is a problem with the config.sys or autoexec.bat will see an error message (ie error in config line 6).

If that still fails you might look at the drve its self being bad. If it is a cdrom drive, once they go down you usualy have to rplace them.

Brian

Old 05-15-02, 12:49 PM
thanks guys

Had it checked out and the cd rom drive was gone
Thanks for the help
Bill