No dial tone?

Old 08-16-00, 08:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have an e machine that is about 10 months old. My son was online one evening when a storm came through. The computer is plugged into a surge protector, but I still have asked him to turn the computer off when it is storming. Since then when I try to log onto the internet I get a message saying there is no dial tone. I have checked the phone line and it is fine. After unplugging the phone line a couple of times from the back of the computer it finally dials. What could be causing this? Is there a way to fix the problem? I'm tired of plugging and unplugging the phone line.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-00, 08:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Try reinstalling the modem drivers. I am not really up on E stuff but modem is a modem. either the drivers are defective or the modem is. Replace the modem. Kisses from God can do funny things. I have seen it blow mdoular phone jacks off the wall or just blow a fuse in the VCR.

Old 08-22-00, 02:26 PM
Visiting Guest
I can't diagnose your problem but maybe I can help. Instead of unplugging the phone line, simply click 'TRY AGAIN' or 'CONNECT' a second time. It sometimes has the same affect as unplugging the line, and it much faster and easier.

Mark

Old 08-23-00, 04:14 AM
Visiting Guest
1st: you did have the phone line plugged into the surge protector, too? Not just the computer? If you aren't using a surge protector for the phone line, the modem connections may have been damaged.

2nd: If you did have the phone pluuged into the surge protector, buy a new protector.

3rd: It may thing more than the connections were damaged. New lines may fix the problem.

Old 08-29-00, 06:43 PM
Visiting Guest
I had this problem occur when a storm came through last spring. The lightning blew out my USR 56K and my replacement 56K will not stay connected for more than a few minutes since that time. I can use use an older 1.2 GB HDD and connect with a 33.6 and stay connected all night long. What a hassle!

The motherboard was obviously also affected by the lightning surge. I can't stand having to buy another motherboard! The Tyan Trinity AT is a good board, but this one needs replaced.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 09-05-00, 08:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Say goodbye to your modem. After a storm around here we seem to have at least 5-10 users who report 'no dial tone' when trying to connect.

Old 09-05-00, 03:24 PM
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem with my HP system and the modem was bad. Fixed it but wound up replacing the whole system under warranty.