Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

random reboots

05-07-02, 02:25 PM   #1  
random reboots

I have a Dell Dimension 4100, just over 1 year old. Over 1 month ago, everything started going downhill starting with the sound card. blah, blah, blah What is important is that the system is unpredictable, and can reboot at any given time, generally once a day, maybe two days. Over the past month I have done complete re-part., re-form., re-inst. of everything at least 6 times, and different results everytime with minor stuff, but not the system reliability. Tech support is dragging their feet because I am too nice and am willing to try different things to find the problem(s).
The most recent call (sat and sun.) they had me do a sys diagnostic, it took 9 hours. USb keyboards will not work with this and some other situations I have come into. 3 errors, all because of the blank disk I put in the CDRW drive. they had me strip down the system to the bare essentials, and so far so good, I have added back some of the cards and drives earlier today, but 2 hours is not enough to make a judgement yet.

What do think would cause these type of problems? I strongly doubt it has anything to do with the power supply or hard drive. My prediction is the motherboard.

gj

Sponsored Links

05-08-02, 02:48 PM   #2  
Random reboots are pretty difficult to troubleshoot unless you have parts to swap. It could be a power supply not being able to supply enough power to the system, and that would cause it to reboot. A defective RAM module can also cause that, so will a failing CPU. An failing component on the MB can also cause that (perhaps because of heat stress). I've never heard of a hard drive causing that, or an addon peripheral.

05-08-02, 05:36 PM   #3  
I'm waiting for problems to return, there is no doubt something has got to happen by the end of the week. The memory is one of my next guesses. (there is only one card of that, if it fails, all goes down). processor, maybe, it would not be my first guess. definitly not the power supply.
Thank you for your input, it gives me a few more ideas!

gj

05-08-02, 05:38 PM   #4  
surprise

Dell sent me a new resource disk that is for the current and previous family of systems, but all newer that mine!
I have yet to see if it will have all of the right drivers and utilities on it.
gj

NY

05-08-02, 06:33 PM   #5  
Have you swapped the power supply?
I do this for a living and I have found faulty power supplies cause spontaneous re-booting 99 times out of 100.
Insist they send you a new one.
The other suggestions are also valid.

05-08-02, 07:33 PM   #6  
next request from dell: new power supply!

gj

Search this Thread