Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Physiacal Memory

FL

05-09-02, 09:48 AM   #1  
Physiacal Memory

I am running windows xp pro. I also have norton system works installed. System is amd xp1700 with 256ddr memory. one of the sensors for norton system doctor is for physical memory available. mine runs in the range of 120 down to 65 at times. some times when i restart my system i get a low virtual memory message. i thought 256 ddr would be enough is that my problem or is there something else i can do ? memory is a terrible thing to lose.

Fritoguy

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-09-02, 11:02 AM   #2  
Bryanx0a0d
You have a few options.

1. Increase the amount of virtual memory
2. Increase the amount of physical memory
3. Reduce the number of application running in memory.
4. Reduce the number of services that are running.

1. You can do this through the control panel. Make sure that your installation is up-to-date first.

2. No brainer.

3. This one take a little detective work. You need to find out what applications are running on your system. You can see the processes in the task manager. Order them by memory usage and you will see the memory hogs.

4. This is done through the Services applet in the control panel. Before disabling services make sure that you knwo what they are for and you do not need them.

As always make sure that your system is current on patches.

FL

05-09-02, 03:45 PM   #3  
physical memory

first thing i did was move my page file off c: and over to d:. c: has all my programs and system files, and d: has my downloads and data files. I have it set min. 384 and max. 768. Task mgr revealed alot of stuff, but 1 i wasn't familiar with and it had multiple entries, maybe you know what it is , it's called svchost.exe and is system32 folder? last i couldn't find any services applet in control panel only system icon. did i miss something or what did you mean . I am running about 125 physical now, better than before. Do you think if i ran sdram instead of ddr it would make a diff, if the amount was the same 256mb?

Fritoguy

Visiting Guest

05-09-02, 04:08 PM   #4  
Bryanx0a0d
Try setting min and max to the same size. Roughly 3 times the amount of physical memory (not more then 1024 MB). This reduces the fragmentation of the swap file.

svchost.exe is the service host. It is generally not a good idea to kill these processes unless you know exactly what they are serving.

In WinXP you will find the Services control here: Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Alternately:
Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and select Task Manager

Alternately:
Right Click on the System Tray
Select Task Manager

DDR vs. SDRAM
DDR is newer, faster, and supposedly more reliable then SDRAM. It is designed for newer mainboards with high bus speeds.

SDRAM is designed for the older mainboard running at bus speeds of about 200MHz.

My opinion: Six of one - half dozen of the other. It all does the same thing. One just goes faster then the other. My computers right now are not lacking for computational power.

FL

05-10-02, 04:08 PM   #5  
Reset pagefile to 750 750, and I will look at the services . Thanks for your help.

Fritoguy

Search this Thread