What video card do i have

Old 05-12-02, 11:40 AM
sparkeycars
Visiting Guest
Question What video card do i have

Hi Guys, A quick question. How do i find out what kind of video card i have in my computer? I have a Gateway 950 select with window me. I might need to update the driver? I was tryin to put a game in the computer (Medal of honor allied asault) I download it fine, but when i try to start to play for the first time, a mesaage will come up sayin the last time i played the game it crashed. I can't even get started. It also says to start in safemode if havin amy problems. I click on the safemode button that it provides, an it will go to a gray screen. I can't get out i have to put in the button on the c.p.u. to turn it off. On another website it says to update my video driver. I'm a beginner on a computer, an don't know all the lingo terms. If somebody can help me, type slow so i can understand. I have had other games on the computer an the worked find.
Thank's Gary M.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-02, 07:51 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Update your Glide drivers

Right click “My Computer” select “Properties” go into “Device Manager” and look for “Display Adapters”. Hopefully your card will be in there. What you need to do is update your “Glide” software and drivers. Glide is part of the 3D drivers. It may be you don’t have enough video card, the game was wrote for an older operating system. You say you downloaded it, It’s possible that the downloaded game has a corrupt file, this seems to happen a lot especially on dialup connections. The packets get broken up on download because of the lengthy time it takes to download.

Old 05-13-02, 12:11 PM
BSB
Being a game junky myself have learned that if you do not have atleast a Geforce2 or Radeon (or compatible) with atleast 32M you will be hard pressed to get any of the new power hungry, video card devouring games to run. With some of the older cards you can get updated drivers that will give you software 3d support, but will not compare to hardware based 3d support.

you might be able to find new drivers here: http://www.guru3d.com/ or here: http://gamershq.madonion.com/

Pretty sure both sites have the same drivers, put one may have what you need.

Brian

Old 05-13-02, 12:32 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Video

How true, I went from a 16 meg Banshee AGP to a 64 meg ATI Radeon AGP, the difference between day and night! About the only game I really play is Serious Sam (now SM2) and when I was online I would get my tail kicked, I knew I was a better gamer than that! Now I really give em what for in fragmatches now that I don’t have to wait for my video to catch up with the DSL!

Old 05-13-02, 01:14 PM
sparkeycars
Visiting Guest
download, wrong word!

Thank'd Guys for tryin to help. I said i downloaded the game (Medal of honor- allied assault) It;s the game you get a best buy store, games with the 2 C.D s an put the in the computer. I have a Nvidia video card, i then went to Gateway an got a update driver, an a direct X, what ever you call that. Then i put the game back in a tried to start to play the game. The same thing happened. says the game had crashed the last time i played. ( I have not been able to play the game yet! Then it says to click the safemode to set the settings, or something like that , can't remember it all. I then clicked safemode,my screen went to a gray color. Could not do anything else. Had to turn off the computer off with the button on the C.P.U. . I just took the game out of the computer. I'm a beginner,stuff like this is over my head, even if i still 44 years old. That's all Gary M.

Old 05-13-02, 02:06 PM
Several bit and pieces:
Another method to see what you had installed in your machine by Gateway at the factory id to go to the Gateway support webpage, and check your original system configuration after typing in your service tag# or Serial#.
About the Game, Does the game specifically list that it is compatible with the version of Windows you have, like 98 second edition?
Another possibility is that the system does not have an adaquate amount of memory and/or the system resources are significantly tied up with lots of clutter running in the backround.
To check system resources: Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Performance. IT will also tell how much memory you have. Don't be tempted to change any settings.

gj

Old 05-13-02, 06:05 PM
BSB
Also, I cant remeber if I have seen this, have heard it, but at what setting is your size set to? 800x600, 1024x768..etc. Many of the new games are now supporting 800x600, and few support above that, even fewer support 1600x1200. Also as GJ asked, if you are using win2k? If so this is not a friendly game OS. Some will run, but your better off with ME,98 or XP since you can do emulation with XP. I dont know how well that works, but atleast its there.

Even with the big pc companies I would still check for video updates. They are slow to upgrade. If they support OEM drivers I would get the nvidia drivers from nvidia. these are updated almost as fast as you can download them.

Right now I am kinda hooked on Max Payne, if you picture homer simpson thinking of any food, thata be me. hghghghg! hehehe

Brian

Old 05-13-02, 06:45 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Monolith

Download Monolith from www.glsetup.com only if you are running a 98.x box. If you are doing 2000 or XP yell. The monolith drivers are for all games, I had to run them when I was running the Banshee card. I have had to take my second monitor off line because it was conflicting with the Creative Live cards Audio HQ mixing software causing hard locks running this new Radeon card. We figured because the PCI card was older architecture. Now don’t know what to do because the general consensus is any newer cards GL would conflict with the current AGP Radeon that I just dropped a C note on. So had to get used to a single monitor again. I guess spend the $300 and buy an all in wonder for multiple monitors. Anyway this monolith is a monster file, about 100 Megs give or take but that should take care of you.

Old 05-14-02, 11:49 AM
BSB
you might try this: http://boards.ea.com/[email protected]^[email protected]
then . Do a clean install of the game, and install the 1.10 patch , followed by the 1.11 patch

By chance is this what your grey screen looks like? http://jestersonline.homestead.com/files/shot0002.jpg

Have done a little bit of searching on ea's mohaa's discussion board and everything points to OpenGL. I would follow the steps in the first url and then go here: http://www.glsetup.com/index.htm and check that its set up correctly and then try again.

lots of people are having problems running this game on a wide variety of machines. You may have to wait till EA recognizes this and releases a patch that fixes the problem.

Brian

p.s. the ea site to search for yer self.
http://mohaa.ea.com/

Old 05-14-02, 02:06 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Color Depth

Another thing, reduce you color depth to no more than 16 bit color, you may even have to drop to 256 colors but I doubt it. Trust me you are not going to notice any difference between 15 bit and 24 bit color.

Old 05-14-02, 03:51 PM
sparkeycars
Visiting Guest
Just a grey screen

Thank's again for the help guys. The gray screen is just gray,no squares or figures or anything,just gray. I think i will just wait for the Playstation2 version to come out which will be in the spring, i heard. Once again thank's guys for all the help on this game problem. Gary M