Data Transfer......

Old 11-25-01, 05:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow FYI: Carbon Monoxide Awareness

FYI:
Basic Information and Safety Precautions.
Subject:
Carbon Monoxides Awareness.
Your health and safety could be at risk.

POST NO REPLIES!
Posting Date:
November 25, 2001

Every inhabited building structure, which has a gas appliance <natural or propane> providing hot water and or heating, has the possibility of producing carbon monoxides and allowing the poisonous fumes to enter the interior environments.

The intent of this topic is not intended to go into any detailed explanation of all the causes of carbon monoxides. Nor is it intended to expound on the properties of carbon monoxides, cover the symptoms, make specific recommendations or suggestions regarding what to do if carbon monoxides are suspected to be present.

Awareness of carbon monoxide is the main intent.

Our own actions or lack there of, can cause an appliance to operate in an unsafe and or improper condition. Such conditions could effect the appliances proper operation and cause that appliance to produce carbon monoxides.

Remodeling, adding an appliance or relocating an existing gas appliance, incorrect or faulty repairs, enclosing an appliance in any structure, other then replacing an existing stove, can cause or become one of several reasons a gas appliance begins producing carbon monoxides.

It's always recommendable to check with the building and safety department and follow all local codes whenever installing or relocating furnaces, boilers and water heater gas appliances.

Carbon monoixide build ups and poisonings can happen quickly or over longer time durations, depending on the appliance, it's location and how badly the effects are on the appliance. Lower levels of carbon monoxides, are also dangerous.

Spillage is often a method in which carbon monoxide enters a structure. Spillage can be a reversed air flow downwards through the venting systems piping or chimney vent. Venting system restrictions or improperly installed venting systems and or interconnections into an existing flue, can cause spillage of the venting fumes.

Conditions like these allow some or all of the fumes to escape out of the venting system, appliance or the downdraft diverter and spill into the environment where the gas appliance is located.

All gas appliance produce small amounts of carbon monoixides when the unit is operating normally and correctly. Should the appliances burner flames become effected for any reason, the flames will not burn correctly.

Any gas appliance operating in adverse conditions, poor operating condition, lack of proper maintenance, appliances that have been in operation beyond there normal service life expectancies, can be producing extremely high levels of CO.

Furnaces, boilers and water heater appliances use larger volumes of gas during operation as compared to stoves and dryers. Therefore, are more prone to produce higher levels of carbon monoxides.

Appliances that are remotely and or automatically operated are the most common appliances to cause carbon monxides. Because these appliances are out of daily sight, early problem symptoms often go undetected and or undiscovered for long periods of time.

Best and often the only safety precautions to guard against becoming a victim or casualty of carbon monoxide poisoning, is to have furnaces, boilers and water heater appliances professionally checked and serviced yearly.

Regards,
Gas Appliances Forums Moderator
Tom_Bart....
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 05-12-02, 11:53 AM
DTAces
Visiting Guest
Question Data Transfer......

OK, just a little history here:

I am building a new box right now. I am transferring components from my old computer (hard drive, ZIP drive, floppy drive, etc....) and then adding new parts (CPU, vid card, etc....) Im not getting a new hard drive right away so I will be using this old one. I want to reformat my hard drive though so I dont have any of those stupid little bugs that I have right now. I have about 8 GIGs of data that needs to be transfered over and about 1/2 GIG of programs that I want to transfer as well.

My questions are these:

What would be the easiest way to transfer this old data?
- onto another computer through my LAN
- ZIP drive
- FTP
- Some other process I havent thought of....

How can I transfer these programs over with the system settings and the registry? Can I ghost just certain programs?

I really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Dave

Old 05-12-02, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You mention the "stupid little bugs" you have right now. I would recommend ghosting to a second, temporary drive, then from that drive to your newly formatted disk in the new PC. But if your present setup is buggy, the bugs will probably go right along too.

Also if the old and new pcs are at all different hardware wise, ghost just wont work well. You will end up with lots of devices that won't work, lots of highly informative Microsoft error reports etc etc. Just not worth it.

The only other solution is to reinstall all your programs from original media - if you have it - takes time, but if Windows programs are not installed correctly you are looking for trouble. The registry must know about the program, so the only way is a reinstall from scratch.

Old 05-12-02, 11:11 PM
DTAces
Visiting Guest
OK, thank you for that. My biggest concern is the 8 GIGs of data I need to transfer. Its all MP3s and documents. No programs involved.... What would be the best way to temporarily store that somewhere so I can keep it after I reformat?

Old 05-12-02, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK, if no program files are involved - only data files - try zipping the files into one or two archives, then temporarily connect the old disk to the new pc, then copy the archives over, then disconnect the old disk, then unzip to original files.

You could skip the zipping part. It just makes the process a bit more manageable.

Old 05-13-02, 08:26 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Burner

You don’t mention if you have a CD R/W drive. I would run out to Office Max and pick up the Cendyne 24x10x40 CD burner and install it before you format or change anything. Burn all of your data to CD. You don’t have to buy the Cendyne but whatever you do buy make sure you get “Nero” burning software!!! Cendyne is just running a sale right now as well as a $20 rebate. (Sale might be off now too.) If you do MP3’s at all the CD burner is the device you need. By the way, from experience at making coasters, burn the MP3’s at 12 speed or less. Seems MP3’s need a deeper burn than data. If you’re on a LAN do you have another computer on the LAN? If so, transfer the data to the other computer. Kill the programs; bugs will transfer like jones says. By the way, burners are under $75 now. I think I gave $99 for my Cendyne, $20 in store rebate and a mail in rebate of $20 so what, $59 dollars for a nice burner. You can of course spend much more but why? In today’s throw away society, if you get a couple good years out of the unit and it fails, buy a new one. I did notice hard drives seems to be up in price, saw a 60 gig for $129, just thought it was a little high. Saw a story on CNET that a company has come up with a way to get 60 plus gigs on one platter, they say that we will soon see 100 gig HD's in our laptops...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: