Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

IE6 locks up

Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 06:06 PM   #1  
ivyfalls
IE6 locks up

Once in a while my system (Windows ME) locks up completely while browsing the web. ctrl-alt-del does no good. I have to do a hard power cycle. Anybody have any ideas as to what's going on?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 06:58 PM   #2  
bigmike
More Info

This could be a dozen different things. I guess first off is to keep an eye on your resources while working. Does this happen after you have been on for a while or after power using like with Word etc? Remember there is a memory leak in Windoze that does not release all memory after a program has shut down, 2000 and XP seem to have fixed that problem but by going NTFS. You have a small program built in to ME (98.x) called “Resource Meter” in accessories that will track and log resource problems. How much physical memory do you have? When is the last time you defragged and did a cleanup of your drive? Emptied the temp internet files? Cookies? I have found a program from www.iolo.com called “System Mechanic” that really helps keep Windoze clean. I don’t often recommend 3rd party programs but this one is a neat very functional program. About $40 but well worth the money.

Search this Thread