Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Memory upgrade

Visiting Guest

05-15-02, 08:10 AM   #1  
jojo54
Memory upgrade

Some help PLEASE!

I want to upgrade my Compaq PC memory from 64 RAM to 120. Can someone please explain (in detail - I'm PC literate, but not when it comes to the tech stuff) how to do this?

Thanks in advance

JoJo

Sponsored Links

WI

05-15-02, 11:54 AM   #2  
1. find out what kind of memory you have.
a. disconnect power, open case and look on MB. Depending on the age of your pc you may have DIMM or SIMM memory. Dimm memory will work with a single mod. Simm memory must be installed in matched pairs (2-4mb, 2-16mb, 2-32mb mods) Simm memory is also shorter then Dimm ( Simm is what, 4" and Dimm is closer to 6"?) Your motherboard will also tell you simm 0, simm 1, up to simm 4 (banks) and Dimm 1,2 and sometimes 3 and 4.

2. find a retailer where you can get memory that is compatible with your machine. You can go to www.pricewatch.com and do a search under memory for your machine (compaq ####)
a. At current prices you might as well go with 256 if your machine uses DIMMs.

3. Remove old mem if you need to, insert new memory making sure its seated properly. Boot pc. That should be it.

Brian

Search this Thread