Partitioning WinNT

Old 05-15-02, 11:44 AM
jn
Partitioning WinNT

What is the max partition size you can use for a WinNt workstation install for the system "C" partition.
I was picking 10 GIG and it says it is too large....and I want it to be as large as possible. I think I saw somewhere 4 gig, is that right?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-02, 12:34 PM
BSB
Old 05-15-02, 08:34 PM
whaT about Win 2k?
I am considering installing 2k on a machine that has been problems with Win Me.
gj

Old 05-16-02, 01:33 PM
BSB
Can't seem to find any limitations for partition size for win2k. Some co-workers think its up to 80Gb. According to MS the largest volume size is 2TB for fat32 and 2EB for ntfs.

Brian

Old 05-16-02, 02:23 PM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
Final answer:
NTFS: 2 exabytes (1EB == 1024 TB)
FAT32: 2 TB (In WinXP 32GB)
FAT16: 2 GB

Old 05-22-02, 06:45 PM
Final answer NOT

The REAL final answer is:
NTFS: Up to 16 Exabytes per partition, BUT system partition limited to 7.8 Gbytes

FAT 32: Up to 4Gbytes.

The FAT 32 limitation is the reason why, using normal NT4 install procedures, you are limited to a system partition size of 4 Gb, although NT4 says 7.8 Gb is ok. That's because the partition is FAT 32 at that stage, and converted to NTFS at the next boot.

Old 05-22-02, 11:09 PM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
Old 05-23-02, 06:38 AM
jn
ejones...you hit the nail on the head. When I was doing the install I was going for 7.8 gig but it wouldn't do it. Then I realized that even though I was shooting for a NTFS system, it is first created as FAT and limited to 4 gig and then is converted during a later boot to NTFS. Once I picked a size smaller than 4 it loaded fine.
To my disgust I have Partition-it and Partition comander which both read on the outside of the box that they work with NT and NTFS. So, Im thinking I can load one of these later and resize however I want, only to find out that you need the Boot drive to be FAT (and if that is true then it will resize other NTFS partitions). Neither said this on the outside of the box though.
Not too big a deal though, I just set up another partition with the disk administrator...it was straight forward and worked fine.
Thanks for all the input