Speakers Humming

Old 05-18-02, 08:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Speakers Humming

My desktop speakers hum quite a bit. It is not from the power source, I ran a dedicated circuit for the computer. The speakers had no hum with my previous computer. I think the interference is with something inside the computer case. I noticed when I move the speaker connection cable (line out), the hum varies. So this leads me to believe the cable is picking up some kind of noise. Anyone come across something like this? My sound card is a SoundBlaster Live. The speakers are amplified Kenwoods.
Thanks, Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-02, 06:13 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You've got a ground problem. Try removing the audio board from the computer and using a common pencil eraser on the edge contacts. If that doesn't work, opt for a new sound board.

Smokey

Old 05-18-02, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Smokey,
Speaking of grounds, my computer case (or motherboard, I'm not sure) Came with what looks like a ground strap. I built this computer myself and nowhere did the case or motherboard manuals say what to do with this ground strap. Maybe this is my problem. Does the motherboard need to be grounded to the case? The SoundBlaster should be fine. Other than this humming from the speakers, everything else is fine.

P.S. I'll fit another question in if you don't mind.
Is there any advantage of hooking a cable modem to a USB port rather a network card? Right now I'm using an ethernet adapter but I have a USB port available if it's better.
Brian

Old 05-20-02, 01:12 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Earth ground...

Earth ground the chassis of the computer that should take care of hum. (Best ground in the world is to go outside the window where your computer sits closest too and drive a 5 to 8 foot copper ground rod from Radio Shack or a welding shop into the earth and ground to that.) If it doesnít I would venture to say you have a broken ground either in the cord for speaker system, by the way is this a powered speaker with subwoofer etc? You have a SB card, some of them had their own amps and some like my SB Live FX card didnít and had to run external amps. Or there is a broken solder joint on the plug on the card itself. Pull the card and look for cracked solder joints where the tabs for the phone jack protrude through the board of the sound card.
USB has itís merits but if you are getting the download speeds etc that you want I wouldnít mess with it. If it aint broke donít break itÖ

Old 05-20-02, 01:38 PM
BSB
The mother board should be grounded by the screw you used to attach the mb to the chassis. Should also be ground wire from the power switch that attaches to the case (where ever you can find a spot I guess) Which is connected to the ground in your power supply, to the power cable, to the circuit box, etc....

If you did not use any screws on the MB and just the nylon spacers that may be your problem. I cant remember if the MB power plug has MB ground or not. Nor do I realy care, as long as I can test for ground on any part/metal surface on the pc and its grounded I'm happy.

Brian

BigM ya just reminded me I need to post a question in electrical.
thanks

Old 05-20-02, 02:13 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Spaced

Thank you Brian, I spaced the screws thing...

Search this Thread