My Modem

Old 05-18-02, 09:52 PM
grabasphalt
Visiting Guest
My Modem

If I leave my computer off for a night, and then try to reconnect in the morning, It say`s that my modem is not responding... Then what I have to do is go to "Control Panel", and delete the current modem and then go inside my computer and "Jiggle" my modem card around... Then I restart my computer, go back to "Control Panel," then to modems and have my computer search for a new modem on my computer... It always finds it after that and all is good, until I shut it down for a night and the whole thing starts all over again... My question is: Is this the sign of a bad modem or the sign of a bad motherboard?

Dave

P.S. I have cleaned the connections on my modem card numerous times...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-02, 12:53 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool OS Etc...

Win 98? 98 SE? ME? 2000? XP? Memory? ISA or PCI modem? Modem manufacturer? Most likely you have damaged the slot by cleaning it. Once a card is in if you are not in an extremely dirty environment you should never have to clean a PCI/ISA slot. First off try a different slot, if they are all taken swap it with another card. If the problem follows the modem you probably have a bad modem. If it follows the card you swapped with you have a bad slot. Also check the online MS database for modem problems with your OS.

Old 05-20-02, 05:22 PM
grabasphalt
Visiting Guest
Thanks BigMike,

I am running Windows 98 SE and have 196mb of memory. I always forget the difference between ISA and PCI, but I can tell you it is the big older black slots, (Whatever Those are)... I will try changing slots, I have one more of those open... I never cleaned inside the slots (On the motherboard itself), only on the modem card did I clean the contacts... But "DUH", I should have tried what you said from the start of the problem. Like I said, Not to bright when it comes to computers, lol... But I am trying... I will let you know...

Dave P.S. Thanks Again

Old 05-20-02, 09:25 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool K...

Cool, the larger black slot is the ISA slot. My suggestion is to dump the ISA modem whether it works or not and go to a PCI modem. Actually going to cable or DSL is what I would rather see you do. But try the switch and see what happens and we’ll go from here. I really have to think back when it comes to dialup modems

Search this Thread