Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

defrag

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-22-00, 02:31 PM   #1  
I have Win98 on my home computer and tried the Maintenance Wizard. When it got to Defrag, it would only go to 66% and then restart. I did the Cont=Alt=Del and closed everything but Explorer and Systray. Did I do the right thing? Now when I attempt to pull anything up, the computer is very slow. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can do here to help my situation?

Hey, I appreciate all the help. Thanks, Barb

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-22-00, 11:44 PM   #2  
First try running Scandisk and Disk Defragmenter independently of each other from within Windows. Check "Through" for Scandisk. This takes a while but it's important that the Disk Clusters are checked for errors.

If that doesn't work (Windows is confused, programs not closing and such) start a Real Mode MSDOS Session and run Scandisk from there.

The MSDOS mode Scandisk screen differs from the Windows screen. Navigate with the TAB and Enter Keys or select the highlighted letters. Below are a few DOS Scandisk Commands and what they do. Type them and press Enter.

Scandisk /checkonly
What is does: checks file & directory system of the current Drive, does not fix errors.

Scandisk /all /checkonly
What is does: checks file & directory system of all Hard Drives, does not fix errors.

Scandisk /surface /checkonly
What is does: checks file & directory system of the current Drive, plus Disk Clusters (this takes time), does not fix errors.

Scandisk /all /surface /checkonly
What is does: checks file & directory system of all Hard Drives, plus Disk Clusters (this takes time), does not fix errors.

Scandisk /autofix
What is does: checks file & directory system of the current Drive, fixes errors, and prompts you for an Undo disk (have a 3 1/2 floppy ready).

Scandisk /all /autofix /nosummary
What is does: checks file & directory system of all Hard Drives, fixes errors, does not prompt for an Undo disk.

Type EXIT and press Enter to return to Windows. Then run Disk Defragmenter from within Windows.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-23-00, 05:21 AM   #3  
Hello BarbLeeM, Another possibility is that some program is writing to the disc as it defrags. There are many that do this and MS Office Find Fast is known to cause defrag to restart due to its continuous writing of files to disc. I would shut down all startup programs using "msconfig" except Load Power Profile, ScanRegistry, TaskMonitor and System Tray. Then try defrag. Download and use Startup Cop for all versions of Windows and remove background programs from running. PC Magazine's StartUpCop is free and is great for isolating problems. Please read: Disk Defragmenter: "Drive's Contents Have Changed: Restarting".

Some more thoughts:
Run the Disk Cleanup Tool which provides an easy interface to remove temporary internet files, .tmp files, and other optional components.
Clear your Internet cache folder by starting the browser and emptying the cache from the options in the toolbar.
Empty the Recycle Bin.

Search this Thread