Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Windowa XP upgrade...

05-21-02, 05:30 AM   #1  
Windowa XP upgrade...

I haven't taken a long look around this forum for this question, so forgive me if it's been asked before...

Any opinions or experiences with upgrading from Windows 98se to Windows XP?

Guess I want to know if it's worth the money and makes operations smoother and more trouble (and hassle) free, or if it just adds more toys (that I don't know how to use...)

It's been suggested that when I buy a new machine, it'll be worth having as the OS, but an upgrade from 98se might not be worth the effort or expense...

TIA

Howie

Sponsored Links

OH

05-22-02, 04:04 AM   #2  
I wouldn't upgrade...

I wouldn't upgrade unless 98se is giving you fits. Its a fairly stable OS and there are sssooooo many drivers and other patches you'd need to install, it wouldn't be worth it.

Don't forget the hassles of backing EVERYTHING up and formatting the hard drive.

Besides, according to your other post, your pc is 3+ years old. If it gets a lot of use, you will be getting a new one in a year or so anyway.

Visiting Guest

05-22-02, 04:25 AM   #3  
phoenix22
Re: Windowa XP upgrade...

Originally posted by howiek
I haven't taken a long look around this forum for this question, so forgive me if it's been asked before...

Any opinions or experiences with upgrading from Windows 98se to Windows XP?

Guess I want to know if it's worth the money and makes operations smoother and more trouble (and hassle) free, or if it just adds more toys (that I don't know how to use...)

It's been suggested that when I buy a new machine, it'll be worth having as the OS, but an upgrade from 98se might not be worth the effort or expense...

TIA

Howie
No..wait....don't do it!

05-22-02, 05:10 AM   #4  
Thanks Bob & phoenix

Other than the nuisance on the other post, things are running fine, so guess I'll start saving my pennies for one of the brand spanking new P VII's that'll probably be around by the time I'm ready to buy

Howie

Search this Thread