Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

slow dial-up speed

Visiting Guest

05-21-02, 01:21 PM   #1  
sandklee
slow dial-up speed

I have a E-Machines 500MHz computer that's about a year old with a Conexant SoftK56 PCI modem that is original to computer. I use EarthLink as my ISP. Beginning about 2 months ago, I can only connect at 26,400 bps. This happened once before and one of their techs walked me through something and I could connect faster again. This time though, I'm getting very little help - disconnect from the surge protector, disconnect from the splitter and if that doesn't help go to www.56K.com.

I've tried all above (and the site is a little over my head). Is there anything else I can do?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

05-22-02, 05:41 AM   #2  
Call the phone company and have your line checked. Happened to me last year and had a bad underground section of phone cable between the pole and my house interface box. Could also be your inside wiring (between the outside interface box and your phone jack) which the phone company generally won't mess with. Keep in mind that most phone companies consider the phone lines adequate at about a 9600 capability (right!).

Visiting Guest

05-22-02, 06:26 AM   #3  
glawson
Hi could be one of several problem with your modem, first check the setting in control panel/mode/properties and make sure your speed is set at 56000, then run the diagnoses.
Another problem could be your line, or even your service slowing down the line(they might deny it).
Lastly try to borrow an external modem, pci modems are also known as winmodems, they use memory out of windows.
Thats about all the suggestions I can give you.
Take care
Garry

Search this Thread