Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Objective Opinions Sought: Purchasing Home PC

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-20-00, 10:35 AM   #1  
I see a lot of good home PCs in the $1,000 - $1,400 bracket, some monitor included, some not. My next monitor WILL BE!! a flat screen so I intend to hold on to my existing 15" for as long as the tube holds out.

I have narrowed my pick down to three brands: Gateway, Compaq, and Dell. They all have "build your own" check-box and menu sites and I managed to configure them all to an average price of $1,200.

What are your opinions regarding each brand I mentioned, and any other suggestions?

I'm not looking to do anything fancy beyond CD R/W and a $150 scanner down the road. I would also like to know what I will notice different about Windows ME, as I'm currently used to 95.

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-20-00, 02:47 PM   #2  
My son-in-law sells Compaq through Radio Shack. My in-laws have a Gateway. Never seen a real Dell.

I believe that the only thing you'll need to compare is the warranty and upgrade programs.

I don't think that visually you can see a difference between NT/95/98/Me

I do know that there performance differences that may be visual.

More than a Carpenter: Home repair & construction

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-20-00, 05:42 PM   #3  
Lets face it. With a hardware purchase it is more about what you need after the sale then what brand it is. Why limit yourself to those three brands. Instead look at the processor the features you need price and other things that you may need like warranty and support. None of these companies make the components anymore but it is what they offer after the sale that counts.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChrisK_99:
I see a lot of good home PCs in the $1,000 - $1,400 bracket, some monitor included, some not. My next monitor WILL BE!! a flat screen so I intend to hold on to my existing 15" for as long as the tube holds out.

I have narrowed my pick down to three brands: Gateway, Compaq, and Dell. They all have "build your own" check-box and menu sites and I managed to configure them all to an average price of $1,200.

What are your opinions regarding each brand I mentioned, and any other suggestions?

I'm not looking to do anything fancy beyond CD R/W and a $150 scanner down the road. I would also like to know what I will notice different about Windows ME, as I'm currently used to 95.

Thanks,

Chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-21-00, 08:22 AM   #4  
Thanks!

That is true, I need to look beyond brands. I just need a powerful, stable platform. 133mHz, 32mb of RAM, and a 60HZ buss cannot keep up with today's rich web content. Compaq, Gateway, and Dell all have a page where you can configure your own. The only major application I want preloaded is MS Office 2000. I have 95 at home and plan to install it's PowerPoint because it can do things the newer PowerPoints cannot.

I also don't need stuff like MS Works, Picking Your Nose with Barney, and Sammy "The Bull" gets cement shoes games pre-loaded, that HD space is useful otherwise.

Thanks

Chris

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-21-00, 08:46 AM   #5  
This is just my very limited experience regarding computers.
Less than two years ago, my wife and I had never even touched a computer. We needed to be computerized for our business (rural real estate, and I'm now on 4 Internet real estate sites). I called Gateway and Dell. The Dell rep was much more helpful, so we went with them.
We still don't know how to use most of it, but Dell Tech Support has been absolutely fantastic.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-22-00, 03:09 PM   #6  
We run 3 HP's and a Gateway. Not a minutes trouble from the HP's but I have heard horror stories about the tech help. The GW has been nothing but trouble and the tech help is there but mostly a lot of useless e-mails back and forth. I read today of 25,000 ZDNet members polled Dell is #1. My next PC will be a Dell....Mike

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-02-00, 11:01 AM   #7  
Have Dells & Compaqs at work, both are junk. Own Gateway & Micron. Both good systems with good tech support and even better equipment replacement (with extra $$ purchase option). I prefer Micron overall.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-02-00, 04:56 PM   #8  
My opinion Dell is the better, followed by micron, but micron has had some problems lately, not sure if they are straighten out yet. There are some other highend builders but they are for gamers, which I don't think you are interested in.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-09-00, 10:03 PM   #9  
I have a Compaq myself, but only because it was a close-out at Sears and also their display model(the only one left)... I got a STEAL! Yes I spent a couple hours ridding this beast of pre-loaded Compaq stuff, but I haven's had any problems in the 8 months I've had it. I have computer geek friends tell me Compaq's are "proprietary", meaning installing non-Compaq components can be a trick, but I have not crossed that bridge yet. They all agree on one thing though... stay away from integrated computers like e-machines and K-mart's new "Blue light" special. They are OK for the money, but forget upgrading. I am not here to bad-mouth any of these brands, like they said, they are OK for the money you pay. They also agree that Dell is just about the best bet. A little more pricey, but very upgradeable and reliable. This is just my input, nothing more. Good Luck!

Search this Thread