Hp laserjet III

Old 05-22-02, 04:04 PM
andyman2002
Visiting Guest
Hp laserjet III

i have just acquired a hewlett plackard laser printer, trouble is it doesnt work!! My mate was going to throw it out, so thought i would ask you guys first see if anyone knows out about them? I turn the printer on, it seems to start up, then the control panel on the printer says "50 service". Presumably that code means something?but what anyone know? The computer states "error writing to lpt 1" I have to turn printer off because it is loud- whether this is because of the error code displayed, i dont know. Tried the Hp website, but didnt find it much use! Thanks

Old 05-22-02, 06:53 PM
BSB
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Depending on its age and number of copies the 50 service may mean you need to replace the drum cartridge these units can run from $75 to $150. Personal laser printer drum cartridge only last for 30-50k. Newer models may go to 100k (number of pages) but don't count on it. OR maybe not.

Read here:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printer.../bpl05620.html

This can be fixed, but depends on how much you want to pay. You have 4 possibilities---is the exit side of the printer hot? should be very hot ontop of the unit.
If not:
1. heat lamp burned out. I dont think you can buy this if you are not authorized dealer ro service.
2. Blown fuse- easily replaced, if on pcb can get replacement at RS or any store with the right fuse. about 3.15 amp. If in line lamp fuse you will need to remove the cover to the fuser and find the 2.5" rubber coated fuse with wire coming from each side. Disconnect a lamp contact and test, if blown you may be able to find a replacement at an electronics store, or service center will sell one to you. (cut rubber off to get fuse specs)

If hot:
1. Temp control unit is bad, thus causing the upper limit thermister to close and cut the power to the unit (fire safty and all) circuitry in the main pcb, replacement or service center fix.
2. Thermostat is bad. Does not register printing temp before time to warm up temp time out is reached. (could that be any more confusing??) Service center part, but you may be able to find a replacement.

Thats about it.

G'luck

Brian

Old 05-23-02, 03:16 PM
andyman2002
Visiting Guest
Cheers Brian, thanks for that! i will try, but from my previous attempts at starting it, the printer doesnt get hot at all? Maybe i should get that screwdriver out now?!.............

Old 05-23-02, 07:07 PM
BSB
if you can cheat the cover switch (look for micro switch or path interupt sensor) then turn the power on and look to see if you see light from the ends of the fuser (fixing unit, front to back ends) No light, no heat. may have to break out the screw driver to open the unit enough to see the light. more then likely you have a blown fuse. check for 120v at both ends of lamp. If you have 120 at the rear connecter the board fuse is good, if front side is bad check continuity on the lamp. If there is one connector on the back side of the fuser you can disconnect it and check the lamp fuse and lamp for continuity. ( hmmm...I dont think my spelling is on tonight) With out the cover and door cheated there will be no power to the fuser.

Brian

Old 05-25-02, 07:47 AM
andyman2002
Visiting Guest
Just had printer in bits!! The lamp IS lit both ends, and the drum gets hot. I checked it with the top open, the light comes on for 20-30 seconds then goes off, dont know if it should do this? Any other suggestions please?

Old 05-25-02, 05:39 PM
BSB
With the fuser cold (room temp) light should be constant ( I would guess at least 90 to 120 secs) after that it should pulse (on for a few secs, off for a bit, on, etc...) Sound like you either have a bad thermistor or thermostat. Thermistor is small 1/4 by 1/4" device (or flat strip) that rides on the heat roller, two wires come off ( may have two-upper limmit and lower limmit). when cold will have high or no continuity, the hotter the less resistance. Dont remember how to test the thermostat just replaced them in the past.

sounds like you may need to decide if you want to get it fixed or use it as a boat anchor. should be able to get it fixed for less then $100. HP only provides a "canned answer" so not likely to get any further with the web site.

Brian

Old 05-26-02, 06:36 AM
andyman2002
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help Brian, looks like maybe i should get shut of the printer,or sell as spares. $100 i guess is about £75 which is out of my budget at the present time anyway. The printer is about 12yrs old anyway, and i didnt pay for it, so ive not lost owt! I have my own epson stylus 680 inkjet, which im quite happy with for now! Just thought it could have been something simple to fix- like a fuse!! Nothing simple in life eh? Cheers anyway mate!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: