Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Metal Piece Stuck!

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-18-00, 09:28 AM   #1  
The rectangular aluminum label/guide plate from the top of a floppy disk is stuck in the A drive. Fortunately, my computer still functions (except A drive). When I start up, I hear a clicking sound. Is there a safe way to remove the aluminum piece without damaging my computer tower?

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-18-00, 05:29 PM   #2  
shutdown and unplug the machine, use a tweezers and flashlight and carefully try to get it out. Worse that can happen is the a drive gets wrecked, you can get a new one for $15. Might work.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-19-00, 04:34 PM   #3  
Floppy drives are very inexpensive $15 to $35, easy to install and no special drivers for them. Only thing to look for is make sure you get the ribbon cable is on right the back of the floppy, there is a red/blue stripe down one side, that stripe goes to #1 pin on the floppy. Worse case is the floppy wont work and you'll have to shut down and flip the cable over. Windows will find the drive, floppys are very generic. Try to get Mitsumi, I have Mitsumi's here the are ten years old still working. And away we go.

Search this Thread