adding a USB connector to older computer

Old 11-23-00, 07:49 PM
Visiting Guest
My father has an older Gateway pentium, win95:
is there any way to modify it to add a USB connector and accompanying software. He wants to be able to install a scanner. Thanks
simonmeridew

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-00, 03:29 AM
Visiting Guest
My opinion and from what I have read win95 and usb are terrible. For usb to really work correctly you need win98. I think I would go with a parralell(sp)port scanner rather than try and install usb on an older machine.

Old 11-24-00, 08:44 AM
Visiting Guest
There are two main problems with setting up usb in an older computer.

1) USB works only with Win95 sr2 (system release 2), and not always well, and Win98. To check you version, right-click My computer, select "properties", and under the General tab you will see something like "Windows 95 or 95a" (won't work) or "95b SR2" (possibly will work). SR2 came with new computers and was not avaliable as an upgrade or retail. Win98 is your best bet.

2) Older motherboards often don't support usb. To check, re-boot and go into 'setup' in the bios. Look for something like "peripherals", and look for a USB option. If your motherboard supports usb, then you'll have to purchase and install a usb card in the PCI slot.

Write back if you really want to do this.

Old 12-01-00, 12:42 PM
SCSI scanner

UMAX made a scanner that came with an ISA SCSI card. It was the Astra 610S and is what I had in my Gateway 486. The card was proprietary to the scanner but it worked fine. You might be able to find one on auction or possibly a newer version.

Search this Thread