Networking Issue.....

Old 05-26-02, 02:40 PM
DTAces
Visiting Guest
Networking Issue.....

OK, my computer runs XP while the other computer on my network runs ME.
Both of these computers have the same workgroup name (@HOME) and different IDs (DAVE & BASEMENT).
I have sharing enabled on both computers, but yet I still can't see the other computer in the workgroup or even search for the other computer.
This happens on both computers.
What can I do to fix this?
Your replies are deeply appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-02, 04:21 PM
I run a network at home with two PC's both xp, not sure but if your running a firewall try closing it, run the network setup wizard on both PC's, see if that finds the computers, if it does then start the firewall and see if you lose the connections, if you do then the firewall is interfering, this happen to be with a certain firewall, so did some seaching and found a firewall that has easy networking setups.

Old 05-26-02, 09:52 PM
Work group name.

I have 3 Pcs on my LAN. I had trouble at first because I used a dash in our work group name. You might try removing the @ in @HOME to see if that is one of the symbols they won't allow.

Marturo

Old 05-27-02, 01:05 AM
DTAces
Visiting Guest
I have run the Network Setup Wizard and also tried loading the XP disk on my ME and the ME on the XP. I have also tried just using HOME as the workgroup name. Neither worked. Im sure it has something to do w/ the Network settings (TCP/IP, NETBUI, etc....)

Old 05-27-02, 07:36 AM
Can you give us some more information about the network. How many computers are on the network? It sounds like you just have two. Are they connected to a network hub or router. If you are just running a CAT5 between the two computers, is it a "crossover" cable? A standard CAT5 cable won't work between two computers, only between hubs and computers. If you are running through a hub, do you see the indicator lights blinking on the hub to indicate that you have communication to the hub? Check these things, before changing all of your network settings.

Nashcat

Old 05-27-02, 11:39 AM
Some good help

All my friends said it was easy, networking. So why did I feel so Damn Stupid? A 4 way Linksys router with custom made Cat 5 wire from Linksys to all three Computers.

One week after buying a Belkin Bitronics Printer switch to at least save buying another printer for #3 & I am Networked. After months of trying this and that.

Once you do it I guess it is easy, but everything must be right. I have included an address that broke the camels back. It is not the only networking information out there, just look through my Favorites lol.

If I were going to start again I would just go back to start and work my way out until I had a LAN.

I chose the linksys 3 years ago just to allow the other computer internet access, I even thought that enabling File & Print shareing would make me a target for hackers.

I did have 2 friends come by to help, but they ended up blaming the something or other so still no LAN. After fixing their Lan I now know they just got lucky the first time and really did not know what networking was & how it worked.

I hope the One Computer Guy helps you as much as he did me. Learn from this just what Networking is & how your chosen way Cat 5, telephone line, AC house system, wireless works.

Go back to square one and start again, good luck Marturo.

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

Old 05-27-02, 11:45 AM
DTAces
Visiting Guest
2 Computers on the network through LinkSys hub
DAVE is running XP
BASEMENT is running ME
CAT5 Crossover cable used.
I have shared files previously in the past, but I guess some setting screwed up on one of the computers.
Indi Lights are blinking (no-brainer)
I have gone through the simplest of steps. I need some advanced tutorial here.

Thanks

Old 05-27-02, 12:27 PM
DTAces
A couple of more questions, and maybe we can get this running for you. You said that you have shared files before.
1. Did you share files with the current hardware configuration? I'm trying to figure out what changed.

2. Are you running cable internet? Some cable systems (mine included) will automatically assign IP addresses, and will change these from time to time for security reasons. If your IP address has changed on one computer, the other won't recognize it.

Nashcat

Old 05-27-02, 03:39 PM
A question

nashcat

I have ADSL and as you know my connection is static, only if I have my linksys on with modem attached & on. My question is. After this bad storm we just had that caused me to unplug phone line and power. Why do I have a different IP address to my Linksys, yet all three computers have the same IP address that the Linksys has always given them?

So I guess I don't get the part about the linksys giving out a different address because the Cable or phone co gives us a different IP address. I was under the belief that the Linksys acted as the only Computer that the WAN had to issue an IP address to. Then the Linksys took care of giving out IP addresses in the LAN.

The only trouble I have had by unpluging the whole works is one time, I had to go into the Linksys setup and reset it to PPPOE again, then it worked fine.

If you have had this setup working once before, it has to be something simple like when I had to change back to PPPOE in my linksys settings. I am of the belief that everything that happens to the settings of a Computer. Well it does not have to be done by the hand of Man, they change sometimes by themselves.

Good Luck DTAces I hope you can resolve your problem real soon.
Marturo

Old 05-27-02, 07:01 PM
Computer not seen on network

Here is some info that I found. Hope it's not too long. It is pretty clear on the steps to take. You probably want to print it, so you'll have it if you have to reboot.
Nashcat

This is usually caused by a machine not logging onto the network.

To check the network connection status, click Start, choose Run and type Command. Then, press Enter.

When the MS-DOS window appears, type net view, press Enter, and you will see a listing of the computers in your network or one of two error messages.

If you see "Error 3787: You must log on before performing this operation", reboot your computer.

Upon reboot, an "Enter Network password" dialog box should reappear.

If you do not know the password for the username that is displayed, make a new username. You should not use any spaces or mix case in usernames.

Do not enter a password into the field provided. Click OK.

The machine should now be logged on. Go to the command prompt and type the net view command again.

If some computers on your network are still not being detected, click Start, choose Settings, open the Control Panel, and double click Network. For Windows ME, you may need to click Show All Listings in order to access the Network Properties.

Once in Network Properties, select the Primary network logon.

Make sure that it is set to "Client for Microsoft Networks" and not "Microsoft Family Logon" or "Windows Logon".

Click OK to change and Yes to restart.

Upon restart, the username you used should now appear. Click OK to logon to the network.

If the problem still exists, go into Network Properties and verify that "File and Printer Sharing" is installed under the "The following network components are installed" heading.

If it is not, click the File and Print sharing button. Check File sharing and, if desired, Printer sharing.

Now File and Printer sharing should be installed. Click OK and click Yes to the restart.

Upon restart, the username you previously entered should appear. Click OK. Go to the command prompt and type the net view command again. If you still receive this error, contact the computer manufacturer if yours is an OEM system, or Microsoft if yours is not an OEM machine.

If you see "Error 6118 - The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available", wait for a few minutes until the browse master refreshes. This is a common problem.

Go to Network Properties and see if NetBEUI is already installed. If not, install it as follows:

Click Add. Double click Protocol. On the left pane, select Microsoft. On the right pane highlight and double click NetBEUI.

Click OK to exit Network Properties. Then, click Yes to Restart.

Logon and go to the command prompt. Type the net view command. All machines should be listed now, provided they are in the same workgroup.

If all of the steps above for both Error 3787 or Error 6118 are taken and the network will still not list both machines, try reinstalling the network adapter. If that does not remedy the issue, this is an operating system problem.

Old 05-27-02, 09:25 PM
I have been up, down ,on , and off this road too many times with the same old machines. One has 95 (flawless!), one with xp (not too bad), but the one with ME, I have yet to change over to 2000. I haven't the time to explain much, neither do you really need to read it all, but Me is the culprit that i have determined over, and over, and over. Ditch the milenium, and get something else. Also make sure you have the Netbui (spelled something like that) protocall listed for the netwoek card on the machines. xp may not show it. Tcp/ip is not enough. has the switch/router.hub been reset fully?
gj

Old 05-28-02, 09:46 AM
DTAces
Visiting Guest
The whole hardware configuration was screwy to begin w/ so I just wiped it out and added the network card, TCP/IP, Client For Microsoft Networks, File and Print Sharing.
Does NetBui make a difference? I cant find it to add in XP.

Old 05-29-02, 03:37 PM
DTAces
Visiting Guest
screw it Ill just transfer everything by CD-RW

Old 05-29-02, 08:45 PM
Lets back up a few posts here. DTAces, did you say you're using a LinkSys hub and connected them with crossover cables? If so this may be your main problem. If you have hub you should be using straight cat5e jumpers. The crossover cables are for going to and from similar ports. i.e. computer nic to computer nic or hub to hub.

The only other thing that I can add is to make sure the ME machine is set up for NetBios over IP and that both machines are using the same subnet mask and IP range. Did you ever mention if these machines are sharing an internet connection?

Old 06-01-02, 12:36 AM
DTAces
Visiting Guest
Yeah they are sharing an internet connection through the hub. ME machine does have NetBios on it....

So if my comps had crossover cables w/ the Linksys hub, how would i go about fixing it....

Old 06-01-02, 06:52 PM
Just replace them with standard Cat5 jumper cables. You can get them just about anywhere now. However, are you sure they're crossover cables? Usually, you have to go out of your way to find these and most of the time you have to go to a computer. But if you are using crossover cables with a hub then your networking won't work but you still might get a connect light.

A quick test for this is to plug one end of one of the cables into both computers and see if it works.

Also, if they are sharing an internet connection via a modem or DSL device that does need to be connected to the hub with a crossover. Or at least a good percentage do. However, I do believe the linksys hub has an uplink port which allows you to connect to another hub device with a standard cable.

Old 06-01-02, 07:53 PM
DTAces
Hello again,
Don't know if it will help, but I'll try to explain my setup. I'm running a cable modem. It is hooked to a 3COM hub with a CAT 5 cable. I have 2 more computers hooked to the hub, also with CAT 5 cables. I'm not using any crossover cables in the system.
I'm running IPX/SPX compatible protocol and TCP/IP. I have my settings to obtain IP address automatically and have DNS disabled. Under the network card properties, I have boxes checked to bind the card to IPX/SPX and TCP/IP.

I asked in an earlier post if you had ever shared files with this configuration or is this a new setup that you are trying to get running? Just trying to figure out if it is a hardware or software problem.

Still trying
Nashcat

Old 06-02-02, 01:34 PM
DTAces
Visiting Guest
Well now that I look at it I have standard CAT5 cables......

I thought that you should either use TCP/IP or IPX/SPX on a computer. Not both. Thats just what I read on one of the MANY websites explaining the issues of networking two different OSs.

Old 06-02-02, 09:05 PM
DTAces,
I think you've tried enough that you should have gotten something to go down those wires. I think its time to also look at hardware and drivers along with network settings. I've also seen it where some network hardware just won't work together and no setting in the world will fix it. Are the lights on the LinkSys blinking on the ports you're plugged into? If yes at least the cards are talking to the hub if not you many have bad cards or cables. Can you get each computer to windowsupdate.microsoft.com (even with a dial-up modem) to see if there are new drivers out? If all else fail blow away all your network settings, take the Nic out reboot and then replace the Nic and start over. My only other suggestion is to get a couple of new linksys cards at least they'll be compatible. Oh, one last thought, have you tried networking just the two computers and leaving the internet device disconnected?

Old 06-02-02, 09:39 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Router!!!

The best possible thing you can do before you do anything else is to GET A ROUTER! Get a four, five or 10 channel router. Whatever you can afford and need and get that hub out of the setup. One the hub is a bottleneck and two well there is no two but the router will solve all of your problems and you won’t have to leave a computer on as the server. The router will enable all computers to access each other, printers as well as the net via one connection. Use a Linksys router and you’ll never go wrong.

Last edited by bigmike; 06-05-02 at 06:11 PM.