Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hard drive gigs

Visiting Guest

05-28-02, 06:10 PM   #1  
BrAhern
Hard drive gigs

I recently recovered my HP Pavilion PC. Only problem is...it thinks that it only has a 2 gig hard drive when it actually has a 42 gig hard drive. How do I fix this problem?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-28-02, 07:54 PM   #2  
logjam
Interesting.

I'm not sure how you fix the issue because I don't know what tools you used to "recover" it, but I can explain what you're seeing.

Back in the good old days, Windows (and MS DOS before it) used a filing system called FAT16. Now this filing system had certain limitations, including a limit of 2.1Gig per partition*.

With Windows 95 OSR2(?), Microsoft added a new filing system called FAT32, which allows Windows to recognize much bigger partitions.

Your problem is that whatever recovery method you're using is creating a FAT16 partition (2.1Mb limit), when it should be making a FAT32 one.

*A partition is a logical division of a Hard Drive. By default, most people have only one drive, set up as a single partition - Drive C: - but it's possible to have multiple physical drives, each with multiple partitions.
Personally, I have one drive with two partitions and another drive with one, so I have 3 drive letters in Windows, C: D: and E:

Visiting Guest

05-28-02, 08:21 PM   #3  
BrAhern
thanks...but do you know how to create a fat32 partition? I would have to recover again. I just used the recovery CD's that came with my system

05-28-02, 09:21 PM   #4  
Not sure about the HP recovery procedure, but somewhere it seems it has repartitioned your disk, as the previous person said - as FAT 16. To do this it uses the fdisk utility. Try running fdisk stand alone. at the opening screen it should ask you if you want large disk support. you must answer 'Yes' to this or the disk will be FAT 16. Then partition the disk with one big partition, then try running the recovery.

Search this Thread