Help no signal input to monitor

Old 06-01-02, 07:57 AM
Unhappy Help no signal input to monitor

Came into my office this AM to find a blank screen! Monitor indicates no signal input or cable disconnected! Running a EMachine 333 Celeron with 98SE, power switch on computer would not turn it off, pulled power at strip and restarted several times, same thing over and over. I have the orginal 3.6 Gig HD and another 30 gig added later, My OS is on the orginal as are most of my programs etc, data on the newer larger drive. What could be wrong? Nothing physically looks out of place or loose, where should I start? Video is on the MB. Is that the most likely culprit or is it the hard drive? I am getting power to the unit, hard drive is warm to the touch and I can hear it spinning up when I give the unit power, same with the cooling fan on the CPU and power supply CD responds to open button, nothing from keyboard.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-02, 10:29 AM
Richard_Grieco
Visiting Guest
Is it a new monitor? Some monitors don't work with e-Machines.

Old 06-01-02, 10:47 AM
no video signal

no, monitor has been used for months with this unit, no other changes made either, as I said came in this AM to find this condition worked fine yesterday.
just tried to access EMachine though network neighborhood while it is running as part of my local network, can't find it at all

Old 06-01-02, 10:52 AM
Richard_Grieco
Visiting Guest
I would try another monitor or 2 of you have some around just so you can confidently eliminate it as a monitor problem.

Old 06-01-02, 10:58 AM
fairly confident it's not the monitor, blank screen isn't accurate, first I get no signal error message then it moves to various colored squares surrounded by black border.

Old 06-01-02, 12:00 PM
kileyre
Visiting Guest
1) A pushed pin on the monitor cable and/or video connector off the motherboard is a possibility. Inspect and/or repair if necessary with needle nose or sharp instrument.
2) Could be Bios corruption. Check MB Documentation for hot key to load bios defaults at boot, or “erase bios” berg strip (jumper).
3) Could be a bad video controller on MB. Try another (PCI) video card if available.
4) If power is “OFF” on the system and “ON” on the monitor do you have the same symptom.

Old 06-01-02, 03:20 PM
No luck so far, tried the checking all pins and connectors, found nothing out of order.
No documentation available on the MB so I'm not sure what to do on the bios check. This system typically is "always on" and serves as my server in the local network. I don't think a power surge got it or that power was lost because my laptop sitting next to it would have gone down at the same time and required logging on.
I have no spare PCI video cards and am not sure how I could configure without being able to get into the MB and disabling the onboard video.
Tried computer power off and monitor power on, get the same effect as before, first a no signal error, then, the flashing colored boxes.
I'm thinking that it's MB/video related, wish I could confirm that it wasn't the bios or HD. Planning to upgrade to a new home built box soon anyway, just will accerlearte that process much faster than I wanted to.

Old 06-01-02, 05:11 PM
kileyre
Visiting Guest
When you power on the system, do you hear a beep? (Completed Power on self-test)
Do you see the hard drive light flickering (disk activity)?
Look to see if the system is even trying to come up. Compare system boot activity with another system if you can.

Old 06-02-02, 05:14 AM
NO beep

no beep at start up, didn't know that denoted a power on self test... HD light comes ans stays on for maybe 45 seconds, on solid no flickering. then off., can hear the HD's spinning up, and the cD clickling through it's cycle bit nothing else, green light for Nic card is on. Monitor does nothing during this time whatsoever just keeps flashing alternating colored boxes.

Old 06-02-02, 08:05 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Video Card

The monitor is in self test mode. The video card has failed. Art you need to try a second monitor, try this monitor on another computer. If the trouble follows then of course you have a bad monitor. If the replacement monitor does the same thing then you most likely have a bad video card. Unless you had a catastrophic failure of some type BIOS does not just change for no reason. Have you tried to come up in “Safe Mode”? Usually F8 key and see if it boots with minimal drivers. It may not be booting now because of too many hard starts. Could be locked up Windoze just shot craps over being hard started too many times. Swap the monitors, go buy another $40 video card and put it in. Bet you this takes care of the problem. Pull that video card out and put it in another machine, take it to a computer shop and see if they will test it for you. Maybe a $5 charge. I have never seen a video card fail or a BIOS fail that would put up a test pattern on the monitor. Go to a Blue screen maybe, most just go black making you wonder if the monitor is working. The monitors built in CPU is running the test sequence to show you that the monitor is working but it has “NO SIGNAL”…

Old 06-02-02, 08:17 AM
monitor ok...video onboard MB

Monitor worked fine when I connected to my laptop, nothing happened when I attempted to get to safe mode with F8. This machine has onboard video on the MB. Can I disable that when I install the new video card or is this something that has to be done while operating? Since it won't operate I can't see how a I could get the video card to work?

When to the website and looked around in the case, found info on mjumper setting to disable onboard video, will head for the store to pick up a card and try it out.

Old 06-02-02, 08:42 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Disable video

Yes you should be able too but I need more info and will have to do a little checking on this. There should be a jumper on the MB to disable the on board video as well as a BIOS setting but the jumper will totally disable on/brd/vdo. So you will need to supply the MB manufacturer and I’ll look up or you look up the board layout pictorial from the manufacturer I hope, find the jumper, pull it/put it on whatever and install the new card. The board may be clearly marked too with the placement of the jumper so you might take a quick gander. Now since more info has come out about the onboard video this could come back to a mechanical failure of the pins where they solder to the motherboard. I doubt it but it’s worth mentioning. Drop in the new card, scandisk and defrag a few times after you are back up and running. You should be OK…

Old 06-02-02, 08:52 AM
kileyre
Visiting Guest
Your monitor is more than likely OK: Most systems will boot all the way up into the desk top without a monitor even cabled up. Laptops ???
The problem appears to be in the case.
Unfortunately, it could be anything:
CPU, Memory, NIC, Sound Card, Hard drive, CDROM, Mother Board, Video, etc…
I would strip the system down to barebones.
Open case.

NOTE HOW ALL CABLES ARE CONNECTED.
NOTE STSTEM SLOT CONFIURATION.

Remove all unnecessary equipment:
Disconnect Data and power cables on Hard Drives, CDROMs.
Remove all PCBs on IO busses: NICs, Sound Card, etc…
Remove extra memory strips if more than one. The MB documentation is helpful here because most require a specific slot filled (slot 0, 1,...). You would need to know which slot. However, if you only have one memory strip to work with, this does not matter.
Reseat Floppy data and power cables.
You may at least need floppy drive.
CPU chip reseat if you feel bold.
Keep monitor hooked up.
If symptoms persist, you have eliminated all removed and disconnected.
If monitor comes up in text mode, you may want to have a bootable floppy.
Good Luck.

Old 06-02-02, 10:07 AM
new card doesn't work, neither does anything else

Installed new card...nothing happened...systematically eliminated extra HD, CD, Nic card, floppy, Ram Sticks....nothing happened....

this leads me to believe that it's a MB problem and with this unit and the puny 112 W power supply it's probably time to start anew. Thinking about bare bones and reinstalling drives, that will let me know pretty quick whether it was the primary HD all along....

thanks to all for your suggestions and attempts to help...

ArtARTARTART

Old 06-02-02, 10:55 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Last...

MB's rarley fail and it's a shame that if all that happened was the video failed that you will have to replace the entire board. You might consider sending in for repair. buy i bought this Epox w/RAID etc for less than $100 so shop around for new one.