Problem using Microsoft Outlook

Old 06-01-02, 05:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem using Microsoft Outlook

I've used Outlook Express for years with no problems. Recently, I acquired Microsoft Outlook, and I can't seem to configure it for use.

When trying to open it, I get a dialogue box titled "Microsoft Mail". Underneath, there are fields for me to type in my:

Postoffice,
Mailbox, and
Password.

I assume my password is my usual internet log-on password, but I've never used the terms 'postoffice' and 'mailbox' in Outlook Express.

What do I enter here, or how do I find what my Postoffice and Mailboxes are??

And, assuming I get this working, how do I transfer all my data from Outlook Express into Microsoft Outlook??

Thanks!

Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-02, 07:33 PM
selfstarter
Visiting Guest
i too am a long-time outlook express user. about a year ago, i got my hands on a copy of outllook, and installed it. if my memory serves me, you have an option to use an existing account/connection, or set a new one. choose this 2nd option. if you aren't allowed this option, just put garbage data in the 'postoffice' / 'mailbox' fields, and see what happens from there.

one major dissappointment with the outlook product is that the version i used did not allow you to browse the usenet newgroups. when you click on the 'browse newsgroups' menu item in outlook, it opens a copy of outlook express! this was enough for me to go back to outlook express, which is what i still use now.

Old 06-02-02, 09:47 AM
J
One reason I don't want to stick with Outlook Express is that it doesn't seem to exist as far as Internet Explorer (ver. 6.0) is concerned.

Within IE, if I select Tools-Intenet Options-Programs, the only Email program listed is Microsoft Outlook. I'm unable to enter Outlook Express. Therefore, to do anything with email, I must separately open up Outlook Express. This is inconvenient because I'm unable to copy email addresses within IE and paste them into OE.

Anyone have a clue how I can solve this (other than tossing my PC out the window, which might be my next step).

Thanks

Old 06-02-02, 09:54 PM
The email program listed in IE settings should be "Microsoft Outlook", whether you have Full Outlook or OE loaded. Have you maybe got both loaded? If so, OE probably won't start. Remove full Outlook and try then.

If you only have OE loaded, try removing it - via control panel - then remove any OE folders in Program Files - sometimes these are not auto removed. Then try a reinstall of OE.

Old 06-03-02, 09:45 PM
nibbles&bits
Visiting Guest
What you describe here sounds like it is just asking you for some configuration information. I see “Postoffice”. Is it Mailbox or Mailhost? Incoming mail “Postoffice” and outgoing mail “Mailhost”. Password would not be your ISP login password but your email password (unless they are the same).

Old 06-03-02, 10:00 PM
nibbles&bits
Visiting Guest
PS

If you know the names of these servers you can configure them in Control Panel in “Mail”. The password is there also.

Old 09-13-09, 11:00 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If I has problems with passwords or mails I usually use****NoAds****because this tool is quite reliable and has free status.Moreover it can too works with the following mail accounts and services, such as IMAP mail servers, POP3 mail servers.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-13-09 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising not allowed.
Old 09-13-09, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
mutu26, welcome to the forums! Hopefully in the past 7 years they solved their problems. Check the dates on the posts to keep current. Thanks for your input, however, may help others.

Old 09-15-09, 01:36 PM
R
Something to check:

- Right click on the Microsoft Outlook icon on your desktop (not a shortcut) and click the properties of it.

- Under the services tab, see if you have "Internet Email". If not, then click the Add button, then select the "Internet Email" and then select "Ok".

- Once you have done so, you will get another window for you to enter in your ISP's email information. Do so.

Having that service should give you internet mail, and it should setup your inbox, etc within the program.

:Rbwest