Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

"Outlook Express 6.0?"

Visiting Guest

06-04-02, 02:39 AM   #1  
Charley
"Outlook Express 6.0?"

Hi All,

Have a problem with Outlook Express 6.0 that started out of the blue. I can receive mail but cannot send? I get the following error.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Mail', Server: 'smtp.worldshare.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Seems my ISP can't help with the problem so I am hoping I can get assistance here. My settings in Outlook are correct and I have recently re-installed to see if this would help? Thanks in advance for any help rendered.

Charley

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-04-02, 05:36 AM   #2  
bigmike
Firewall

Have you recently put up a firewall? Double check your SMTP settings to make sure there is not a period out of place etc. Delete the current account in OL and re-do it. POP, SMTP etc. Does your ISP support SSL? If so turn it on. Check in "Tools" "Email accounts" "View or change existing accounts" <Next> Select account name and select "Change" "More Settings" next window has four tabs, select "Outgoing Server" and make sure "My outgoing server(SMTP) requires authentication" is selected. If you have to login some ISP's require you also login to send. Make sure outgoing is port "25". Incoming is port "110". If you are on dialup I suggest getting a firewall up. I happen to like Zone Alarm Pro. But once it or any firewall is installed it cannot be removed. We’ll go from here...

Visiting Guest

06-04-02, 12:07 PM   #3  
Charley
bigmike,

Thanks, I have tried that already? I use ZONE ALARM also...but what is crazy, this problem arose out of the blue. No changes have been made? Oneday it was working fine and the next time I signed on, this problem was there to greed me when I tried to send mail. I have also been to Outlooks website and seems there are a number of people with the same problem and what I have read so far they are still having the problem. <g> Thanks again and if you think of anything else I am willing to try it.

Charley

06-04-02, 05:39 PM   #4  
Just a thought....If you are using Outlook 6, I assume you upgraded from v5. If so, dump v6, reinstall v5 WITH THE SAME SETTINGS AS V6 and go from there. At least this will prove if its a v6 problem or not. Although, if this came out of the blue, I would personally be suspecting my ISP has "upgraded" something.

Visiting Guest

06-04-02, 06:31 PM   #5  
bigmike
I agree...

With ejones, if you have checked all your settings, everything is working then it has to be on their end. You just don’t see that many problems with Outlook. Outlook may be one of the most stable and well planed out software that MS ever came out with. Next choice would be Eudora Internet Suite but it doesn’t have half the functionality of the OL’s. So what I suggest now is to create another email address on your ISP. Most ISP’s allow one to have like 4 email addresses on their server. One for business, home, kids etc. Don’t discuss your current problems with them just setup another email account and see if you have access to it. If you have a Hotmail account, set it up thru OL and see if it works. (Easy to do from “Tools” “Email Accounts” in OL). I may have mentioned that OL will handle just about any protocol there is as far as mail setup. Let’s try this and go from here…

Last edited by bigmike; 06-06-02 at 05:47 AM.

Visiting Guest

06-06-02, 03:29 AM   #6  
Charley
"OUTLOOK EXPRESS?"

Thanks to all that replied to this problem. After talking with a tech regarding the error I was recieving while trying to send mail he assured me there was no problem with their server. (yeah, right)

Without making any changes to my settings, this morning (Thursday) I was able to send mail again after about seven days of being down. The way the problem started (out of the blue) has also corrected itself? Go figure...seems someone was pulling my chain regarding their not having any problems. <g> Course do these ISP ever have any problems. <g>

Thanks again,

Visiting Guest

06-06-02, 05:48 AM   #7  
bigmike
Yea, yea, yea...

Hey buddy got a flat tire? Nope, the other three just blew up like that. Heres your sign...

Search this Thread