home desktop support

Old 06-04-02, 10:21 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
home desktop support

i'm going to recommend a gateway, dell, or compaq for my girlfriend's parents, but i'm curious who has the best support??

i've got a dell, and i'm really pleased with their support, but i know nothing about gateway's or compaq's.

oh, and i saw that compaq has merged / been bought buy / whatever HP . . . what does everyone think of those machines for home use?? how about their support??

thanks again for the advice and info!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-02, 01:35 PM
nibbles&bits
Visiting Guest
… just some friendly advice

Recommend what YOU are familiar and happy with, if there’s a chance that they come to you for support.

Old 06-05-02, 02:27 PM
You're getting into human engineering here. As a married man I can tell you that you are in deep water here. If you give them bad advise and this these people become your in-laws you will never live it down until everyone else is dead and buried.
Any computer, even from the best manufacturer, can be a lemon and on any given day you can get a good tech or a bad tech on the support line.

Having said this if there is a Gateway store nearby go with Gateway. Non-computer people like being able to take their box to a real person and say "It doesn't work, fix it!"

Old 06-05-02, 02:37 PM
I thuroughly agree. Dell, and if a local store is an option, then gateway.

Old 06-06-02, 05:13 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
thanks everyone. i'm thinking gateway's in the lead, and dell with a close 2nd. i'll just shoot for the best deal between those 2 and go from there.