Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sloooooow HD format

Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 05:57 PM   #1  
reprosser
Sloooooow HD format

After getting tired of my machine bogging down and slow boot up times, I decided to re-format my (25 GB) HD and start over.

I re-formatted, stuck in the WXP Home CD, and started the install process. I chose the FAT32 partition and after 1-1/2 hours, the partition is at 25% complete.

I plan to purchase a new HD and trash this one, but I am wondering what could cause things to be so slow ?

I will let the partitioning continue overnight to see if it finishes. Is there some testing I can run to determine what the problem is - maybe a fix? Perhaps I could use the drive as a data storage unit ?

PC info: 700 Mhz PIII with 128 RAM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 06:58 PM   #2  
bigmike
Fdisk

99% of the time this is indicative of a drive failure. Stop this current process. Just shut it down. With a Win 98 startup disk let’s make sure. First from the “A” prompt type “fdisk <space> /MBR” [w/out the “”] This will erase the master boot record. Then still with the 98 startup disk, from the “Fdisk” prompt type “Format c:” of course no “”. If it does the same thing time for a new drive. If not let it format, create your partitions with LBA enabled and install XP. FYI I do partitions 60/40 just seems to work out well. You ever took a drive apart? They are neat…

Search this Thread