cooling fan

Old 06-10-02, 07:22 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cooling fan

I want to add a cooling fan to my case because I was told that I need to vent out the heat from my burner and that may have contributed to the drive going bad. I was wondering, how do I go about installing one. I don't see any extra power plugs coming out of the power source, where would I plug the fan into? Thanks for any help yo can offer.

Old 06-10-02, 08:30 PM
A real cool site.

I wrote these guys a question in the pm, & got an answer in the am. Anything I ever bought, was well priced and as advertized.

http://www.coolerguys.com

Old 06-11-02, 07:53 AM
T
You can always use a splitter power cable to connect your fan. Don't forget, the front fan will pull the air in, while the back fan will push the air out. If your MB has any extra fan headers on it, you can buy a fan which has a 3 pin "mini" connector, and plug into the MB directly.

Old 06-11-02, 09:04 AM
GerBa
Visiting Guest
MergaTroy6
A fan should have a set each of male and female plugs. If you don't have extra leads from your power supply then use one going to one of your drives and plug the drive into the unused fan plug.

Old 06-11-02, 09:40 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Cooling

Try here, http://www.thermaltake.com/ I use their products and am quite pleased. I have fans everywhere. The Golden Orb is keeping this overclocked PIII at about 95 to 100`. Would like it cooler but would need to use liquid cooling to do it...

Old 06-11-02, 03:46 PM
Thumbs up Your real problem.

(Mergatroy6) said:
I was told that I need to vent out the heat from my burner and that may have contributed to the drive going bad. I was wondering, how do I go about installing one. I don't see any extra power.

Sorry we did not answer your real question, you had a hardware failure. No your CD-R does not need additional cooling. A Hard drive doing 10,000rpms needs a Hard Drive cooler. I don't think heat played a large role in your Drive failure.

Do you have a program on your PC that gives internal box & CPU Temps? Even if not, I would look at some other possibilities as to why your drive failed.

I have seen Cpu coolers & coolers for chip sets, sound cards, RAM, Fast Hard drives, & of course in and out fans for your case. Never, have I seen a cooler for a CD drive of any speed or design.

Will you tell us the brand, price & the symptoms of this CD drives life? Maybe we can help you to not repeat the same problem.

PS: Remember, I did not say your PC would not benifit from additional cooling. Most Store bought PCs suffer from small cases & too few fans.
Marturo

Old 06-11-02, 04:10 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Yep...

If you’re not banging on the net with a high end game, big graphics, over clocked CPU you will not need a fan. If you listen to MP3’s, do your banking, play some solitaire, email, stuff like that, you don’t really need to cool anything off anymore than it is. I am just one of those that thinks heat is the enemy of everything. Cool it off a little. But it’s easy for me, I am setting here next to a 30 amp regulated power supply. So running the fans and such is no big deal. Jeez this room glows in the dark! Power Company sends me a Birthday AND Christmas card every year! Marturo answered your question, just do what he says and you’ll be cool. Pun intended...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: