Networking

Old 06-11-02, 05:36 AM
pkrug
Visiting Guest
Networking

I am running a network at home. I have three pcs two running windows 2000 and the other running windows 98se. I have two nic hards in all of the machines.

I have not been able to get the second nic card in the windows 98 machine working. (windows 2000 machines it works fine). Is it possible to have two nics in a windows 98 machine? If so how?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-02, 10:20 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Router

You want to save yourself a heck of a lot of heartache and work? Not to mention system resource from running all those cards? Purchase a www.Linksys.com four channel (or whatever you need. ) Router. Itís practically hippie proof and you donít need to run a server. You will need the router, a single NIC card in each machine and CAT5 running to each machine then to router. The router handles all your internet connections. Set each machine to ďAutoĒ detect network and IP settings and away you go. I will assume you are on DSL or Cable. To my knowledge there are no routers for dialup connections.

Old 06-11-02, 06:41 PM
pkrug
Visiting Guest
You are right setting up the Linksys router is easy. I use it for my broadband connections. I have six PC's connected it. The nic card connected to the router is set up as DHCP. I then have my internal network which I have separately connected to a hub. Each of the 3 pc's have two nic cards installed. These are set up with their own ip addresses (multiple). I only allow
those pc's to talk to each other/share files/etc. I have a windows 98 machine for testing on that platform and this is the machine I have problems with the second nic card functioning properly. Can I install a USB nic and one PCI nic and the operating system will recognize them both?

All of the machines are firewalled with a firewall.

Any futher ideas?

Old 06-12-02, 10:54 AM
Why do you have 2 NIC cards in each machine? I can understand it in a server, but on a home computer? I believe 98 will accept 2 NICs, but it can only handle one IP address, but I could be wrong...

Old 06-12-02, 11:29 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
You only need one NIC in each machine. Why are you assigning an IP for each machine? Turn on DHCP (u have) on each machine and tell it to auto get IP. Pull the other NICís out. They are just taking up rescource. So the Router, then Hub then to each machine and you should be perfect. Also if youíre on DSL you most likely do not need to run the firewall. Comes in handy for stopping popups though.

Old 06-13-02, 06:57 PM
pkrug
Visiting Guest
I run Oracle on one of the machines and Apache, Websphere, MQ Series, SQL Server on the other. They are a little more than a home computer. Two computers are running Windows 2000 Server. The other computer is running Windows 98.

The software loaded on the computer requires an IP address I can not go DHCP.

I do not like running a firewall on them but I sometimes have my kids on my computers. You ask why are they not on theirs? Well they want to be near dad I guess....
Yes I do use it to control ads, and I am paranoid. I also need to change from DHCP to static IP's because of the webserver, ftp server, etc and will need a firewall.

In the 98 machine I have tried installing two nic's same brand but the second one complains about the drivers not being installed. I also tried a second type of nic and could not get that one installed/working either. Any ideas?????

Old 06-14-02, 07:13 AM
I've installed 2 NICs on a WinMe machine to share the DSL connection (one going to the DSL modem, one to the swiitch), and it worked fine. I had one set as DHCP for the modem, and the second had a fixed address set by the sharing thingy in ME. It worked. It helps to have two different brands because you know which one goes where.

Old 06-15-02, 12:55 PM
Basically, Win 98 can only handle one IP address in one network at a time. It was designed for home use and no one ever thought about wanting two acitve nics. If you want to run two parallel networks on each computer you're going to upgrade the 98 machine to NT4, 2000 or XP.

Old 06-16-02, 06:03 PM
pkrug
Visiting Guest
Thanks. That is what I thought. I wanted to keep it win98 but I am going to wipe it and upgrade it. It has gotten to slow anyway with all of the junk that has been loaded.

Last edited by pkrug; 06-16-02 at 09:02 PM.

Search this Thread