drive letter not assigned

Old 06-14-02, 04:11 PM
Coady
Visiting Guest
drive letter not assigned

I partitioned my hard drive... win 98 and win xp and when I booted bois detected the hard drive, but it wasn't assigned a drive letter. The system just hangs after bois and prior to windows. Can you help me?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-02, 07:59 PM
Hang in there Coady! The forums are real active tonight, but someone will get on here to help you. I've assigned drive letters, and have even gone into my bios to make it detect the new drives. I've never done that after partitioning, only after installing a CDRW.

Please be patient, which I know is hard when your system isn't responding.

-Kay

Old 06-14-02, 08:55 PM
a little reading for you:

http://www.pcmech.com/show/os/334/1/

This is 7 pages but may show you what you did/didn't do that may have caused these problems.

I'm not a pooterpro, but just some thots that can't hurt to try. May be useless, but may be worth a shot.

This is how I get to my bios, yours may be different, check the manual that came with it.

When I boot and get to the screen with my machine's logo (EMachines, another ) I hold down the delete key and it will take me to my bios settings.

I thot maybe if you looked in (may be same or similar) the utilities, click on "detect IDE". This is auto detect and will tell you if it even sees your hard drive at all. If not, the rest won't help, I don't think, but hey, who knows.....

If so, close that, and move to the Advanced. Under 1st boot what is listed? Mine listed "CDROM". Under second boot my lists "floppy" and third boot listed "1st IDE-Hdd". You can select these things if necessary. CDROM should be first since most recovery disk today or on CD, floppy next (mine doesn't work so don't ask why I acknowledge it), and the finally the Hard Drive itself.

I also have an option that lets me answer yes or no to "Boot to OS/2". Have no idea what it does since I only have the one operating system and haven't researched this. I would probably wait on that one since I'm not sure what it does. Someone else will fill us in on that later.

Also, I have "Primary Master Hard Disk" area that I can make changes/check the status. Open the options for the primary and make sure it is on auto detect. Click another option, then reclick the auto detect. (This, by the way, is how I got it to finally read my second CDR, but that was done under the master slave and secondary slave settings).

The above is why I was thinking (dangerous for me and others ) that this might help. Couldn't hurt to try. Please don't do anything with the OS/2 boot option until you either hear from someone that its okay, or research it some through your manual or online.

-Kay

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,81964,00.asp
link for when you get back up.

Post back to let us know how it is going.
-K

Old 06-15-02, 01:07 PM
Coady,
Exactly how did you partition the drive? For a dual boot machine with 98 and XP you pretty much have to follow Microsoft's instructionsl on Technet.micorsoft.com

1.Partition your drive from a system boot disk using fdisk

2. Reboot and format the primary Dos partition with FAT32

3. Load 98 on the primary Dos partition

4 Install XP following the instructions for setting up dual boots.

If you went about this a different way you may have corrupted your boot partition in which case you're back to step 1.

Old 06-17-02, 02:54 PM
BSB
I was going to say same thing as mrhoardar, but could not remember which os went first, I did know when I had dual boot. I think if you load 98 second it will over right the boot sector with its information along side of XP, thus confusing (corrupting) the boot sector. If you install 98 then XP, XP should incorporate 98's boot sector info into its own and give you a "what os to load" screen.

Brian

Old 06-17-02, 09:32 PM
You say you partitioned the drive. Did you format either of the partitions? If not, that's your problem.

Old 06-18-02, 04:29 AM
Coady
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Hey thanks for the replies, my puter is still down. I put the systems on in age order!!! I used partition magic. It worked great at first but that is it.
I suppose this is a great way to learn about my win 98se and winxp operating systems!!

Old 06-21-02, 10:46 PM
Hard Charger
Visiting Guest
Try this...

Install Windows 98, and then run your XP setup from Windows 98, choosing to do a "Clean Install", and selecting to "Repair a current installation" after the first reboot into DOS mode setup. When the proper screen comes up, be sure to select the c drive for the install, since it seems that is where you installed XP the first time. Windows XP will detect that you already have an additional OS, and will create a dual boot screen for you. You won't have to actually reinstall XP, you'll just be running a "repair" mode, which should even accomplish the dual boot to choose which OS you want to load.

Old 06-22-02, 12:08 AM
Another one of my questions

Why 2? Why not just run 98 or XP? Just curious.

-Kay

Old 06-22-02, 12:32 PM
Coady
Visiting Guest
To Kayboard

I am running both o/s ...and soon 3! The business software is very expensive to upgrade to winxp pro. win95/98/se all can run on fat 32 file system, winxp on the other hand runs on a differnet file system ntfs...they are not compatable!
Some software is not useable on ntfs file system.
Also I own them and a huge hard drive ... so why not use them... although so far the best/fastest is winxp!Although I am told the 3 I am about to install is the best/fastest!

Old 06-22-02, 06:48 PM
Thanks Coady. Explains it. I never would have known since I'm a pretty basic computer user...internet, word processing progs that come with it, etc.

Thanks again for the info! I'm sure this is just one of the many reasons why to run more than one os.

-Kay