Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

O.E.6 & winXP

06-15-02, 07:39 PM   #1  
O.E.6 & winXP

I just set up XP, but am new to using Outlook Express 6. (I also have outlook 97, 2000, and 2002, but do not use any of them.)
My problem: When having multiple user accounts on XP (single machine based access/non-network email access from network server), how do I set OE6 to give the same email access to all users? I setup our email with my windows account, but I can only access the email from my account, meaning the other 3 accounts cannot access it. OE6 treats each win. acc. as a totally different email setup. I want the emails in OE6 to be accessible from all accounts except the Guest account which is is turned on in windows.
(We have traditionally used netscape, but it has always been way to proprietary, and is become more so. Aol is toooo involved in it, and its configuration has toooo much control over the computer (4.79 is the best for friendlyness, but out-of-date on its compatibility for email and browsing) (versions 6.x.x and 7.x.x) (7 is in beta only right now, features are better, but changes too many system settings. I immediatly uninstalled.)
Also, how do you turn on the Administrator account in the welcome screen? I did it once another computer, but can't seem to figure it out again.
Please help, all of you Windows XP Professional Users!

gj

Sponsored Links

IL

06-16-02, 11:40 AM   #2  
Micorsoft has buried some of the menus and programs in XP behind the eye candy. My guess is that it makes it harder for a novice to really screw things up hence people then think Microsoft is great easy to use software. I think they stole that from MAC too.

In your case what you want is the MMC console which you get by going to Start -> RUN and typing "mmc" Once you have the console you need to go to add/remove snapins. The two snapins you need are Computer Management and Group Policy. In computer management you will be able to disable the administrators account. (Before you do that make sure another account has administrative privleges or you'll have to reformat your hard drive.)

The Outlook stuff is in the Group Policy section but be forwarned this is almost as bad as editing your registry. Anyway, there are about five locations where you can setup features for Outlook and IE. Not sure that setting up Outlook five times over might not be easier.

06-16-02, 11:58 AM   #3  
Ill try it later, but another anoyance, I found this before another xp machine. With a HP deskjet, you cannot adjust any of the advanced settings or perform any of the functions that hp provides on the disk that comes with the printer.
Specifically what I would like to know right now is how to double side pages (and set as the default.) MICROSOFT! RRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

gj

Do any of you have Roxio Easy cd creator? (5 is compatible with xp) I bought 5 platinum at compusa last night and there are still messages about compatibility issues at times. I know that was started by me loading 4 basic, and finding out it wouldn't work. So I removed it and installed 5 platinum. Any suggestions as to resolve the warning messages that won;t give any specifics about what is incompatible anymore?

IL

06-18-02, 04:14 PM   #4  
In both cases you will need to go to both the manufactures web site and http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and run the available updates program. What is going on is that the CDs that you get in the store had to be made 6 months ago to get through the entire distribution chain. Hence, the drivers are obsolete before you even get the box open. As for me, I don't even bother with the CD and usually go directly to the website. In both cases, HP and Roxio, they are real easy to navigate and get just what you want with a minumum of hassle.

Visiting Guest

06-21-02, 10:29 PM   #5  
Hard Charger

Not sure what you mean by Non-Network email access from network server?

Why not have everyone login using the same account?

If individual accounts are needed then why not individual email accounts as well?

OE6 will have to be setup over and over for each individual user I'm pretty sure. The account part is the part I'm lost on. Does each user have their own, or is it shared?

Not a lot of help...just trying to get an idea of what is happening.

IL

06-22-02, 02:39 PM   #6  
Hard Charger,
Everything from the shape of the mouse pointer to Outlook mail accounts is set up by user accounts. There are a few settings you can make by machine but that requires using the MMC. Even the my documents and favorite folderes are by user and if your user account isn't an admin then you can't even open another users folders or read their e-mail.

Visiting Guest

06-22-02, 06:26 PM   #7  
Hard Charger
WHAT

Not sure what that has to do with what this use is trying to accomplish?

Thought my questions were valid...Guess I'll leave it to the expert!

IL

06-23-02, 08:12 AM   #8  
I wa just reply to your question about OE6 and needing sparate accounts. The simple answer is yes every user account will have separate settings and separate mail boxes but they can share the same ISP account. Each account would also have to be set up one at a time.

The problem comes in when "Bill" logs in downloads all the e-mail to his box and then "Sally" logs on later and downloads another batch of e-mail. Now Bill has e-mail for Sally in his mail box and Sally has mail for Bill in hers and neither can read the mail in the others box. The only fixs for this is to have everyone use the same account on XP, have different mail boxes at the ISP for each user, or set OE6 to only download copies and use the ISP's web interface to manage the mailbox.

06-23-02, 07:05 PM   #9  
Just so Y'all know, I have been paying 'tension to this post.
I'm going to fly away for the week, and unfortunately will have the laptop with me, which is not the machine I have this issue with, but similar setup.

gj
I'll have hotel dialup, yeah!!!! , not high speed like at home. Be back home sat night.

Visiting Guest

06-24-02, 07:06 PM   #10  
Hard Charger
ISP?

So, these accounts are from an ISP, not local email accounts?

I was thinking of maybe setting up individual accounts then a single email account for all to access via exchange. Then delegating authority to all users to be able to open the Inbox for the "group" account. That way all email is kept on the server, and all can see when they login.

Search this Thread