Upgraded to XP, lost some stuff along the way

Old 06-18-02, 08:18 PM
Upgraded to XP, lost some stuff along the way

I did an upgrade from Windows 98 to XP, and then found I had problems with Outlook Express not functioning. I fiddled around with it for awhile, then somehow got it working.

So, I have Outlook Express 6 working nicely now, except none of my address book nor saved emails have imported from my old Outlook Express 5 .

I assume the stuff is still hiding in my hard drive, but I can't find it. I was told to do searches for *.wab and *.dbx, but they only turned up my current, newly-installed data.

Any ideas? Is this stuff still on my drive?

Thanks,
Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-02, 09:05 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool XP

I doubt it. You can try looking for the actual name of the person but doubt that will turn anything up either. You should have backed up your address book then did the upgrade which by the way will probably not last more than a few months at best. Most likely you stay FAT32 so what good was it to do XP? The whole idea behind XP, 2000, NT was to get away from DOS. Anyway I will be curious to know how long the build lasts and I reckon we will be hearing about your fun and games with XPƒº No offence really! I am just not a fan of doing upgrades. Clean install all the way. I¡¦m actually impressed that it went as well as it did.

Old 06-19-02, 09:14 AM
Umm....gee...thanks, BigMike.

That was real helpful.

Anyone else have some input?

Jon

Old 06-19-02, 09:53 AM
Jonre,
I have to agree with BigMike, your data is probably gone. XP saves Outlook data by user account whereas Win98 saved it by computer. In XP every user has there own settings and address books. My guess is you did a repair or reinstall to get outlook working which reset all the data in the user accounts. If any of the data still exists it will be in the Outlook folder in the Program Files folder. There is a slight chance that XP gave ownership of the old data to the administrator account. You could try logging is as the administrator to see if your data migrated there.

Old 06-19-02, 09:57 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Welllll...

[size=2] Well what can I say man? You can try to uninstall XP back to 98 and then hopefully your address book will still be there. I would just about be willing to say it’s been overwrote. XP found what it could and deleted the rest. Maybe not but every upgrade I have ever seen usually deletes things like that if in installation it didn’t find it. [/size]

Old 06-19-02, 10:40 AM
OK, I'm convinced the best way to go is to re-format and do a clean upgrade (there are many other issues other than my lost data).

But first thing is to back up all my vital stuff, yes? But now there is a problem using backup:

When I get to “Choose a place to save your backup”,, I enter D:\

Under “Type a name for this backup”, I’ve tried various names, starting with ‘backup’.

Then I click ‘next’.

Of course, it doesn’t work. I get an error message saying:

“The backup file name could not be used.
“D:\Backup.bkf”
Please ensure it is a valid path, and that you have sufficient access.”

A few times I’ve tried it, it seemed to successfully copy files onto the CD, but, when I look to see them, it shows the CD as being blank.

I did make a successful CD-to-CD copy using this same burner and the same CDRW disk I’m trying to use on the backup. Also, I’ve tried 3 different disks for the backup

Mrhoadar: thanks for the input.
Bigmike: sorry if I was rude; I just wanted to hear how to proceed next, not what I shoud have done prior to upgrading.

Any help appreciated.
Jon

Old 06-19-02, 11:26 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool XP2

[size=2] Yea no problem guy. You will have no need to backup anything except for your pictures, letters my documents etc. If your HD is big enough partition it about 75% and 25% and you will be able to save your address book etc on this partition and not have this happen again. Of course a burner is they way to go. I have never had so much drive space. Use the 98 startup disk and fdisk then create your partitions and the format each. Again restart with 98 startup disk and tell it to start with CD ROM support. XP will take off from there asking you to select drives etc. I have never installed XP so not quite sure how it loads up. Need to run over to a buddy’s shop and load XP once to get an idea I guess. [/size]

Search this Thread