USB Network down

Old 06-10-02, 06:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
USB Network down

I installed a new printer on my computer and it has a USB connection. I have two (2) USB connectors on my computer and one already has my notebook networked into the desktop. When I reboot the machines I have my network, however, when I try to add the printer (desktop) to my notebook, I lose the network connection again. At times, I even lose the network neighborhood on the notebook (doesn't even just show the notebook).

I'm not sure what to look for...any help would be appreciated.

-Kay

Old 06-10-02, 07:12 PM
Update

Now my notebook can read the desktop, but doesn't list itself anymore. Plus the desktop cannot read the notebook. Don't know what I did other than I unplugged the cable from the back of the notebook. I did get the printer installed through the network to the notebook.

Please don't ask me to pull my desk out again to reach the other end of the network USB cable....

Am fixing to do that anyway....

-Kay

Old 06-11-02, 11:17 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Hub

Do you happen to have a USB Hub? Are the drivers installed for the USB correctly? I would go to the Hub and this should ease your problems. USB Hubs are under $30 here so get one and run it.

Old 06-11-02, 11:55 AM
I guess I'm going to have to do that. To get the network to come back up after each printing I have to go into network in the control panel, click on Client for Networks, then Properties, and then okay. It comes back up again but I haven't changed anything. Go figure. It's doing better today since I reinstalled the USB bridge software on the notebook. However, I paused the printer from the notebook and now I can't get it unpaused from the notebook. Can't seem to unpause it.

Will work on it somewhat until I can get a HUB. I may have to wait on the HUB since I just got the new printer and my husband might just 'kill' me for spending more money on my toy.

I will post about whether or not I get it running right without the HUB.

Thanks!

-Kay

Old 06-11-02, 03:56 PM
Talking Hubabuba :)

Kay I almost gave up on USB. Then I bought a Belkin 4 port USB hub. Hey all those USB devices all work now, really they do.

Listen to Big Mike on this one and get a hub. It would have saved me a lot of sleep, if just one of the Mfrs of the USB products I bought, would have said get a hub bub, LMHO

Good luck Kay, Marturo

Old 06-11-02, 04:09 PM
Let me ask what size I might need. This is what I have going now:

I have my USB network, my USB printer, and I also have my camera USB, but unhook the USB network cable and then hook up the camera (don't use it often, but would like to keep it handier).

If I get a scanner in the future, how does that hook up?

That would be 4 right there if the scanner takes USB. Should I just stick with 4 since I don't actually need the 4th yet? Also, recommended brands? I don't know when cheaper is actually less expensive as opposed to just a cheaply made product.

Thanks guys!

-Kay

Old 06-11-02, 04:41 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Ports

Kaybyrd get at least a 6 to 8/10 channel, what Maturo? USB can handle 150 devices thru a single hub? Get what you can afford but minimum of four channel/port... Nomenclature kills me! Stay with a branded product. Belkin, Linksys...

Old 06-19-02, 11:30 AM
BigMike Love your question about the Professor!

I got a 4 channel port hub instead of the larger one, its the best I could do right now and has solved the problem. Thank you guys so much! It is so nice to have everything running smoothly and the convenience is so nice.

Now if I could say the same about my ISP. Cable tv hasn't gone out, not once, but I haven't been able to stay connected for a few days now. Am hoping they've gotten it fixed for good, or at least awhile. I finally got all my email from the past two days...pretty scary!

-Kay

Old 06-19-02, 01:18 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Make em pay...

[size=2] I would make them give you a month free. AT&T@Home/Excite was one of the worse email servers I have ever seen. I would go days with no email. I kept my original dialup ISP so I still had reliable email. AT&T mentioned raising their price and I told them I was already paying $50 plus a month because of orig. ISP thing. I never understood how a company like Excite, making and average of 180 million dollars a month could go bankrupt. [/size]

Old 06-19-02, 01:22 PM
You would think that since it costs me $45 per month just to have cable internet service that I could get my mail on time. Thank goodness I'm not a business.

Just hard to keep up with who's posted where on the forums when my email doesn't alert me, worse when I can't go find out. Can't moderate my forums when I can't get online, either.

Will call the cable company and find out what's the deal...

-Kay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: