IE-5 problems

Old 06-19-02, 08:04 AM
spankyme1
Visiting Guest
IE-5 problems

i got windows ME and i use netscape-6.0. i can't use IE-5 it tell me
"the page can not be displayed" i do try to use a diferent web address with
the same result.. how can i fix this problem?
Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-02, 09:32 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool IE6

[size=3] Speak English manÖ I donít get for sure what you are saying. OS would be helpful too. You cannot navigate in IE5 but you can in Netscape 6? Personally I would not use Netscape simply because AOL has bought it and I refuse to support AOL in any manner. Ripping people off by the thousands and know it too. Anyway, first off go to Windoze Updater and get IE 6.0. Look under ďToolsĒ ďInternet OptionsĒ of 5 and make sure you donít have internet security set too high or on the highest setting. Running a firewall? Running a pop up stopper that could be canceling out Webpages? [/size]

Old 06-19-02, 08:57 PM
spankyme1
Visiting Guest
yes, i do speak english and three other languages..
i did what you said, but still i can't get IE to work.
only netscape. i don't know much about computers but
my computer it's a dell 4300 with windows me 1.5-g HD
256-Ram.. i hope this will help..

Old 06-20-02, 05:11 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool IE6

Iím sorry hon that was my feeble attempt at humor. I do good speaking and spelling one language let alone three! Well your best bet is to go ahead and get IE6. IE5 has a lot of holes in it (Like all MS software doesnít). Itís really hard to say whatís wrong not being able to set there and look thru it. If you got into the setting from tools and everything is set right then I just donít think itís necessary to continue with 5. Iíll be interested if 6 fixes your problem. I ran Netscape for a bit several years ago and actually messed around with it a few months ago and it seemed ok but no where near the usefulness of IE so I am curious as to why both browsers? Have a good dayÖ

Old 06-20-02, 06:46 AM
spankyme1
Visiting Guest
Thats ok!!!
i did download IE-6 but when i run setup it tell's me,
"setup was unable to install all components. please close all
programs and try setup again" i did but, the same...

Old 06-20-02, 07:05 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Time to format? Maybe not...

Wow, you've got a registry problem. Time to format. This can probably be fixed but I am wondering now what is going to fail next? In my experience when IE starts to have problems it's downhill from there. Anyone have a better idea? You might try to do a repair of IE. Instead of selecting install go to add/remove programs and have it do a repair of Windoze which should cover IE. As you know IE is closely integrated with Windoze so if it starts to fail more problems are right around the corner.

Old 06-21-02, 07:26 PM
I'm actually working on the same problem on my parents computer. They have ME with IE 5.5 and I can't get into my work e-mail or visit certain pages. All I get is DNS errors. Downloaded Netscape Navigator 4.08 and it worked fine. My guess is that Microsoft only cares about XP right now and may have added tweeks that mess up ME which it no longer ships. I also tried downloading all the updates and service packs from the updates page and it do anything except waste an hour of my time. My suggestions are 1. search technet.microsoft.com for an answer, 2. learn to love netscape, 3. upgrade to XP. If I figure anything out before I head home I'll let you know.

Old 06-21-02, 09:32 PM
I will not say that either of these links will solve the problem, but it may be worthwhile reading.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...US%3biepcbdfaq

http://support.microsoft.com/default...h%3ben-us%3bie

Old 06-21-02, 09:43 PM
Hard Charger
Visiting Guest
Just my 2 cents...

If you can navigate via Netscape then you should be able to browse via IE.

Maybe try this...
Open IE
Goto "Tools"
Then to "Internet Options..."
Click on the "Connections" tab
Check the radio button for "Dial whenever a network connection is not present"
Then click on the "LAN Settings..."
Make sure that the only box checked is - "Automatically dectect settings"
Then try browsing to a website. If this doesn't work maybe try the following microsoft KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q274498

Help this helps.

Old 06-22-02, 02:35 PM
Well, Hard Charger and 2000 looks like I get to try hacking the registry. I knew it wasn't the proxy settings since to get to my work e-mail I have to set up the proxy a certain way to work with Novell Border Manager.

Search this Thread